Non-14er alternatives for a lowlander

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrrenegar
Trip Reports (0)

Non-14er alternatives for a lowlander

Post by jrrenegar »

Hi guys!

I've been reading around the site for a couple weeks, and want to plan a trip for August. I'm an experienced backpacker (east coast) but my only real experience with altitude has been in the San Gabriels in CA (~10,000). I'd hate to get out there and be disappointed, so I started looking at areas where you could get a similar feel, but slightly less elevation.

The Wasatch Range around Salt Lake City has caught my eye. There seem to be some really prominent peaks around 10-11,000 ft that would still give you the real "climbing" experience.

Does anyone have experience in the Wasatch, or in CO, or elsewhere that would be good for a lowland, wannabe climber?

Thanks a lot!
JR
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Non-14er alternatives for a lowlander

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Lost Creek Wilderness should have a lot of options for you.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Comanche Peak Wilderness
please rotate your device
jrrenegar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrrenegar »

Thanks a lot! Those both look like great options.
Colorado_Expatriate
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado_Expatriate »

**The** Wasatch classic is Mount Timpanogos, can start at Timponeke or Aspen Grove. It is close to 5000 feet vertical, so a pretty long day. Bring a lot of water or a filter. Easier is Gobbler's knob from Millcreek http://www.summitpost.org/gobblers-knob/152266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, can also do Mount Raymond. Nebo is the highest Wasatch peak, it is a little out of the way if you are in Salt Lake City though.

For conditions on Timp, a good resource is TERT http://tert.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They have a guy who watches guys who slide on the snowfield and picks up the pieces afterwards, I am **not** recommending this (admitedly fun) option.

This hasn't been a specatular snow year in Utah, but in previous years the wildflowers have been spectacular, kind of like Yankee Boy, if you know that area.
There are also mountain goats, the kids are really cute.

Anyway, hope this helps.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

IMO you should head for the Sawtooths in Idaho.
jrrenegar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrrenegar »

Thanks for the insight into the Wasatch! The Sawtooth also looks awesome.

I should have titled this "Give me your favorite 10/11ers".
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I would define the mountain experience as getting above treeline.
You can drive above treeline several places in Colorado and hike miles with great views immediately.
Some of these include
Loveland Pass
Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park
Cottonwood Pass, Buena Vista
Independence Pass, Aspen
Summit Lake, Mt. Evans
Theres a bunch in southern Colorado (south of I-50) but I am not as familiar with them.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

OK, so this might not be a direct answer to your question, but just wanted to throw something out there. I'm a fellow (former) east coaster and someone who frequently experiences issues with altitude, so I completely understand the reservation about high elevations. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily rule out peaks in the 12 or even low 13K-foot range, if they are something that really appeals to you. If you've got a week or two to dedicate to the trip, you shouldn't have too much trouble acclimating to the point where you'll feel pretty comfortable at those elevations. In my experience, there's a HUGE difference between how the body feels in the mid or even high 12K range, to 14K and higher. And CO has PLENTY of very beautiful (and seldom-climbed) peaks in the 12-13K range, especially in places like the Indian Peaks, RMNP, the Gores, Zirkels, etc.

For true "alpine" 10-11ers, in addition to the Sawtooths I'd look into Montana. Lots and lots of amazing stuff up there in that altitude range.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

If you have a few days to acclimatize I would not let 14K scare me away. From what I can tell most people that get into to trouble do so because the do not have enough time to acclimatize properly. Maybe avoid ridge walks where you are above 13K for many hours, but for a quick 1 summit day (say like Huron or LaPlata normal routes) you not that high for more the a 2-3 hours. But as you can see from this thread there is much more to Colorado then 14ers.

As for my favorite 10K-11K peaks, I think glaciated peaks like Mt Baker in WA cascades, or the Canadian Rockies. Basically, your options are practically limitless if you are travelling anywhere. I enjoy the WA cascades non snow peaks, examples : Hidden Lakes Peak, Sourdough Mt in the North Cascades, Plumber peak and Shriner peak in Mt Rainier NP, Mt St Helen's, Mt Aix. All under 10K'. For glaciated or more mountaineering climbs rather then walk ups, Mt Baker & Shuksan (I passed on the latter, it was more then I was up for). In the Canadian Rockies, I enjoyed the Lake Louis area (about 2 hours drive from Calgary, if you can drive straight without stopping too often to look at the scenery), a peak called Fairview or Fair something another was a very nice walk up. Nearby Mt Temple is very popular, but I did not do it. For glacier peaks there are many, I was guided on climbs on glaciated peaks Mt Athabasca (11K'+) & the President in Yoho (10K'+). Bringing back memories, I need to go back some day. This was many years ago. Those are probably my favorite 10K' or 11K' peaks. At least today. California is loaded with stuff too (John Muir trail for example). Have a great time wherever you go.
Best Regards
linuxsurfer
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by linuxsurfer »

+1 for not letting 14,000' scare you off. I would drive to Mt. Evans, and either hike up from Summit Lake or just drive all the way to the top. You should get a good feel for the altitude. Personally, I live in NC around 1000' elevation or so, and I have been out to CO 6 or 7 times and I can't even tell a difference until I get up to 11,000' or higher. I might recommend Grays/Torreys as they are close to Denver and are RELATIVELY short hikes. Also Quandary Peak.

However, what others have said is true - Colorado is full of natural beauty even if you don't get up to 14,000'. Best of luck to you!
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

As a person living at sea level (1 mile form LI Sound) I agree that you should not sell yourself short. Prior to my first trip to CO they only "altitude" hiking I did was Mt Washington. Nonetheless, in 2012, I flew into Denver, drove to Vail and the next day hiked one of the longer routes up Mt. Massive. Did not set any records but had no issues and its well worth it. Also agree that Quandary is a good 1st 14er. There are good "lower" trails near Aspen - Cathedral Lake, Electric Pass, etc.
Who is John Galt