3k rule clarification/hypothetical

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 3k rule clarification/hypothetical

Post by GregMiller »

I always approach this sort of question with the "who cares" mentality - If you're just out climbing mountains to climb mountains, I doubt anyone does. If you're out to finish the 14ers, and maybe mention that casually to a couple friends, or impress a guy/girl at a bar, I doubt they'd care either. If you're out to get your name on the CMC's list of 14er finishers, then you might need to ask them, and more people might care. If you're out to set the FKT on the 14ers, then you'll get a lot of people who care. I think it really depends on who your 'audience' is. I know personally that I've marked some peaks as 'skied' on my checklist that others wouldn't - I highly doubt I'll ever 'ski' all the 14ers, and won't ever go rubbing it in anyone's face anyways, so who cares. If I ever wanted to ski them all, I'd probably go back and re-do those ones being sure to follow more 'formal' rules, just to say I did. For the OP, I doubt anyone actually cares.

I think part of the drama around this whole thing is that if you say that you've done a thing, that other people say they've done, but you don't follow the same rules that they did, then they might care because they feel like it takes away from their accomplishment (which I can understand).
mtree wrote:For me, if I put forth a decent effort and reached the summit, I climbed it. So what if some were easier than others. It's like a par 3. I'll take it.
Agreed.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Markwise
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 31 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by Markwise »

Jeff Valliere wrote:The only rules I abide by are respecting the mountains, respecting others, enjoying, appreciating and coming home safe, beyond that, it is wide open. Aside from FKT attempts, who cares? Whatever works for you.
Best words of wisdom in the whole thread! =D>

While the 3000 foot "rule" makes sense for some, and is unnecessary for others, I'm more worried about folks respecting the mountains and others. Can't stand all the unfortunate talk of trash :evil: and graffiti :evil: and other stuff that I don't even want to get started on. That's what we should really be concerned about.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Jules Randolph wrote:Or would I not be able to count any of them since I started at 11.6k and didn't climb 3k net vertical at all?
Count them according to who? Ask yourself who are you climbing them for, and let that person be the judge. Clarify your goals and the rest should fall into place. :mrgreen:

Certifiers determine the criteria for awards. Personal awards = personal criteria. Other just like to personally get in a "full" workout so they'll spend 30 minutes running, not 29, not that anyone else cares, or they'll run 3.1 miles to train because that's what the 5k race will be. Still others just like to track numbers (elevation gain, miles, time) so they can compare performances be it with self or others.

Stay healthy, safe, and have fun! :-D
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

As recently discussed at http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll start by saying, as everyone else here and in the other threads, the rules are what you make them. All these variations and special sets for FKTs or whatever else... it's obvious there's no consistent application. 3k first and last but not all? Seems a little arbitrary/convenient for the goal/section 3 paragraph A subsection 2 sub paragraph d to me. And it's as much a matter of convenient geography as anything else.

But then I'm not trying, nor will I ever, to set a FKT. Nor do I think not gaining 3k on each peak takes away from those who are/do. It's more than I'll ever do, and even if I eventually get 3k on every peak I wouldn't consider it better than the FKTs. Obviously if someone could break a FKT record while gaining 3k on every individual peak, that'd be something. Otherwise it's kind of apples and oranges and two different 'records'.

It's all relative, and short of a helicopter, Pikes, Evans, and possibly Antero, pretty much anything else could be considered a climb no matter where you approach from. This moving around or averaging of gain doesn't make sense to me at all, and if you're resorting to that to determine what counts, you've not only missed the point of climbing them in the first place, but also the point of rules (unless you're a bureaucrat).
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

GregMiller wrote:... I know personally that I've marked some peaks as 'skied' on my checklist that others wouldn't - I highly doubt I'll ever 'ski' all the 14ers, and won't ever go rubbing it in anyone's face anyways, so who cares.
That's right, Greg. This is what real skiing looks like. 8)