1st 14er for me today!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Curtis Stoll
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

1st 14er for me today!

Post by Curtis Stoll »

I am proud to say that I am addicted! I've done lower elevation hikes the last couple years, but never attempted a 14er. Until today!

I did Bierstadt. There isn't an easy 14er I understand, so I attempted one on the lower end of the difficulty scale (I think...) I am a Midwesterner....born and raised in a small country town in Illinois and now live in a St. Louis suburb. The highest elevation around us doesn't even crack 1,000 ft, soooooo I have been coming out to Colorado a couple times a year to climb and get my fix. The hardest thing is the darn air! My legs actually felt great. Yea, they were tired, but it was the good kind of tired, ya know? I wasn't exhausted, but my lungs took a beating that's for sure.

I had nothing to compare to really, so I said screw it. I started at the TH and 4:20 and summited at 7:20. From what I can tell, I was the second one up there that day (had a trail runner blow past up and down.....wow, is all I can say there) and had the peak to myself for probably 10 min. What an awesome feeling! I felt good about it, the weather held for the morning and I met a few new friends. Hung out on top for probably an hour just taking it all in and talking to people. I don't think summiting can ever get old. How can it? Good lord, it was just amazing. Got back to the TH at 10:05.....sure does get crowded doesn't it?

I am in town until Sunday night. I am figuring out which one to tackle Saturday and then another Sunday morning. While I am here, I have to make the most of it!

I also want to say that this website is an amazing thing. I joined a while back and have just been reading, listening and getting input. The tools on here helped me plan an incredible day and soon to be incredible weekend. Thanks to all that participate and have input!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: 1st 14er for me today!

Post by oldschool »

Well done...
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Mid-summer on one of the most popular 14ers and you still managed to get some solo summit time? Well done sir! I can see why you're hooked.
Where ever you are... There you are.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Congrats Curtis! Welcome to the addiction!
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

You picked a lot better mountain for your first one than a lot of us probably did. Smart starting at 4:20 also. Wishing you many years of great mountain climbing.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

Congrats! =D>
Vincit Qui Patitur
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Great work. May you have many amazing summits in your future. I also grew up in a small country town in Illinois.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

And I too grew up in a small country town in southern Illinois.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Congrats!

I summited my first 14er at age of 73. It was Mt. Elbert, my first choice for a reason.

Wish you the best for climbing more mountains.
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

\:D/

Congrats Curtis! And especially for having the summit to yourself. THAT is a rarity on Bierstadt! Only 57 to go... and then the 13ers of course... and 12ers... and... well... you have a long journey ahead of you!
NotTimid
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NotTimid »

Way to go Curtis! It's really an accomplishment to be proud of. And of course, when you climb your first one it's gonna be the hardest one you've ever done, by definition :-D Congrats! You clearly did your homework and did everything right, which tells me this is just the beginning of a successful climbing career for you. Keep us posted!

Also - totally agree with you on the awesomeness of this site. I've gotten nothing but phenomenal support and encouragement from this community - to say nothing of all the useful info!
summitseeker91
14ers: 18  2  9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitseeker91 »

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction!!
"I spent four years working on my last climb, and the moment of success took me only about 10 minutes to achieve. The time we spend on the top is short. You have to enjoy the journey." - Chris Sharma