Newbie with a few questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mjanzer
Trip Reports (0)

Newbie with a few questions

Post by Mjanzer »

I've done about four 14ers before, pikes, la plata, oxford/belford all with a few friends.

I'm planning on summiting the bross/lincoln/cameron/democrat loop solo. I'm fairly fit so I'm not worried about the physical part, but I'm curious as to good places to camp. I'd like the drive up the night before, set up a tent within a few miles of the TH, possibly scout it out the trail so i can get up pretty early to start my ascent. My question is, where are good places to set up camp? And is the loop pretty well laid out or does it get tricky in some spots?

Any other tips for this loop would be greatly appreciated.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Newbie with a few questions

Post by HikerGuy »

There is a campground at the Kite Lake Trailhead if you don't mind paying.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

+1. Set up camp at the Kite Lake campground the afternoon before, then scope things out, talk to others coming back down and camping there, etc. Could fill up on weekends, though. The loop is pretty straightforward.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Take plenty of water. You'll be at altitude a while. Start early, pace yourself. Enjoy!
When life gets you down, climb!
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

And don't speed on the road from Alma to Kite Lake, it's a notorious speed trap/revenue generator for the Town of Alma.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Good topic! I've been planning this route also solo, and camping. My plan would be to go the night before on a weekday, just to avoid crowds.
762x51NATO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 762x51NATO »

The Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross route from Kite Lake is not difficult to follow at all. I was just up there yesterday and as long as the weather is nice you should have a great day. A couple things to consider would be that 1. you will surely encounter lots of people, and 2. although some have returned to Kite Lake via the trail down the west slope of Bross, I would avoid it as it is steep and slippery. Safer, and better scenery by following the trail from Bross back to the Democrat/Cameron saddle and down to the lake.