My first two 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
18chains
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

My first two 14ers!

Post by 18chains »

Climbed(hiked?) Bierstadt on Wednesday and Quandary on Thursday with my friend Joseph. So much fun. Started Bierstadt at 5 a.m. and Quanary at 4:30 a.m. I did not know how awesome it would be hiking in the dark and seeing a billion stars and even a few meteors. Now I want to start all 14ers even earlier so I get more miles in complete darkness.

I've lived in Colorado since October of 2014, was in Florida for 10 years before that. Since arriving I have been itching to climb some high peaks. It feels so good having started. I can't wait for more. Here are few pics.

Sunrise seen from Bierstadt:

Joseph about to start the boulder hop atop Bierstadt:

Joseph working on Quandary's east ridge at sunrise:

Obligatory Quandary goat:

Too close for comfort:

Joseph assessing the final stretch of Quandary's east ridge:

Thanks!
Jeremy
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My first two 14ers!

Post by Rollie Free »

Nice photos.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
oh2co
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 15 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oh2co »

I regularly start those peaks at 4am or earlier if I can. Not only do I burn up and down before the masses arrive, but exactly what you said...the stairs and sunrise can't be beat above treeline.

"It's like wearing skirts instead of trousers, it makes the wildlife nervous."

"If you really want to see the stars in all their glory, then you have to go out into the wilderness"
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

My wife did her 1st two with me last month - Handies and Uncompahgre.

She found those high-altitude endorphins to be addictive, as do I.

We're going to do Redcloud and Sunshine at the end of this month.

Not sure what El Nino is going to do, but those two will probably be it for this year.
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schumi248 »

jcman01 wrote:My wife did her 1st two with me last month - Handies and Uncompahgre.

Not sure what El Nino is going to do, but those two will probably be it for this year.
Do you have to do weekends, or can you hike during the week?? I am headed down that way this coming Thursday afternoon to do either Redcloud/sunshine, or Handies Friday morning.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Very nice, congrats.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

schumi248 wrote:
jcman01 wrote:My wife did her 1st two with me last month - Handies and Uncompahgre.

Do you have to do weekends, or can you hike during the week?? I am headed down that way this coming Thursday afternoon to do either Redcloud/sunshine, or Handies Friday morning.

I retired, but I just took a 6 month contracting gig. Next year....
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Welcome to the club. Hope your experiences are good ones. Stay safe and have fun.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
NotTimid
14ers: 58 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NotTimid »

Congratulations Jeremy! An accomplishment to be very proud of, and it sounds like there are many more in your future :) Beautiful photos! You're gonna love San Luis - most stars I have ever seen in my life.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Yes, it's great to see the stars on the way and sunrise from the top. My son and I timed our start from Matterhorn Creek lower trailhead on Saturday to be at the crux on Wetterhorn in time to turn off our headlamps before going on to climb Matterhorn and Uncompahgre before risk of storms. We were treated to an excellent sunrise as an added bonus.
Sunrise over Uncompahgre
Sunrise over Uncompahgre
20150815_062822__1439812595_71_218_176_124.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Aim high to end high
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

Goats!!
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
18chains
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 18chains »

Thanks, everyone!
Jeremy