Shavano good first 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LonJen
Trip Reports (0)

Shavano good first 14er?

Post by LonJen »

My wife and I are starting our 14's in Jan/Feb. Is Shavano Peak doable with snow cover? We are attending a conference in Co Springs and were looking for a less challenging peak to start with.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Shavano good first 14er?

Post by sunny1 »

Shavano would be a tough 14er to tackle as your first in Jan/Feb.
The trailhead may not be accessible due to snow - you may need to start miles below the trailhead in winter.
You're likely to encounter deep snow en route to the mountain, and need to do extensive trail breaking.
I'd suggest either Bierstadt or Quandary in winter.
Both usually have trenches (packed trails) in place due to their popularity.
Have you done high elevation winter hiking before? Are you able to assess possible avalanche danger?
You need to be able to handle rapidly changing conditions - not just extreme cold/wind, but also possible white-outs.
You'll need different gear/systems than other seasons.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Do you have experience on other mountains or any winter experience? Shavano should be straight forward in winter if the weather is reasonable and if you are an experienced climber with cold weather experience. If not, taking on any 14er in winter can be a bit much for someone with little cold weather or hiking experience. As mentioned Quandary or Bierstadt (also Sherman) are typically the easiest winter 14ers.

If you don't have much winter experience, there are plenty of other lower mountains around Colorado Springs that would make a good trip.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Having climbed 43 in winter, I would not recommend Shavano. The mileage is pretty long, even if you have a pre-existing trench (which isn't that common on Shav). And there is some avy danger at treeline.
asbochav
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asbochav »

Doable - probably. A good choice - no.
Eppur si muove
Clapton is God
LonJen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LonJen »

Ok, so we heeded the advice an we have switched our plans to try Quandary as our first 14er. We are staying in Alma for a few days before the climb, which we will do on 1/31. It will be my wife's (got married 3 weeks ago) 43rd birthday. ANY advice is completely welcome, ie: take snow shoes, crampons, poles, etc, etc. We're super excited and looking forward to starting what will be a lifetime of memories!!!!!!
dennywitte
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dennywitte »

In addition to 3-4 layers of clothes, balaclava, and goggles, you should have available, depending upon actual conditions, trekking poles, snowshoes, microspikes, and gaitors. I doubt you would use crampons on the standard Quandary route.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

How much can you bench press?