First 14er in May?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BlueBiRDD
Trip Reports (0)

First 14er in May?

Post by BlueBiRDD »

Hello,

My friends and I are planning a reunion for this May in Colorado. It will have been 5 years since we left the Marine Corps. We are considering hiking to the top of one of the easier 14ers near Breckenridge. I checked them out and Mt. Lincoln seems the most appealing, but I am definitely open to suggestions.

I have a few questions and concerns:

1) Will the mountain be too snowy in mid May for a bunch of intermediate level hikers? Would we need any snow equipment? Are any of the 14ers near Breckenridge easier to summit in late spring than the others?

2) Coming from the Midwest, (where the elevation is under 1,000') will we be able to handle the thin air at +11,000'? We are all at an average to above average physical fitness level and we are in our late 20s.

3) Is this a good idea? I don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

Thank you for your help!
chubbles365
14ers: 20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14er in May?

Post by chubbles365 »

As far as elevation and acclimatization, coming from a fellow Midwesterner, the biggest factor is how long you plan to spend at elevation before you attempt your hike. Give yourselves a few days in Colorado and spend time hiking to more moderate elevations (10 - 11,000)
"It's all success if it's what you need, do what you like and do it honestly."

Tom Delonge
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

I hiked Quandary in May after a big winter (2010-2011 season). It was my first Spring in Colorado and the warm weather in the Denver area made me forget how much colder it is at 14k. If it wasn't for my step-mom demanding I take snowshoes, we would not have summited. We stubbornly hiked without them for the first quarter of a mile until we were postholing to our waist. We then donned the snowshoes and didn't take them off until we were back at the car. Expect snow. Not sure about Lincoln that time of year, but I'm sure you can find trip reports on this site for the DeCaLiBron loop from May, complete with pictures.

Quandary is closest to Breck and you can avoid avalanche terrain fairly easily on this route. Keep avalanche safety in mind. May tends to be a good time of the year for snow travel, but there are certainly exceptions. Check the CAIC avalanche forecast and understand the basics of travelling in avalanche terrain. Quandary is one of the most popular winter 14ers, so you'll likely find packed trail all the way up. But in May, when things start heating up, the snow will soften enough to posthole even on packed trail.

Allow yourself enough time and have the right gear and be in the right mindset to turn back if you feel unprepared. I don't want to get flogged for saying you should be good, because I just don't know. But for that time of year, Quandary and Lincoln are probably your best bets.

Everybody adapts to altitude differently. I've never had issues, but I know people who seem to have issues at altitude no matter how well they prepare. Drink lots of water the few days leading up to your hike and do your best to sleep at altitude.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Let's start with:

1) It depends on weather and snow conditions.
2) It depends on the individual.
3) It depends on weather and snow conditions.

And, finally, I cannot predict any of the above. Good luck!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

mtree wrote:Let's start with:

1) It depends on weather and snow conditions.
2) It depends on the individual.
3) It depends on weather and snow conditions.

And, finally, I cannot predict any of the above. Good luck!
MTree is correct.

But, I would suggest Quandary because of easy access to trail head and there will be a path even with snow to the top, because it is hiked a lot. Snowshoes, probably won't be needed, but microspikes would be good to have. But again, the winter weather and what snow remains will not be known until May. The weather the week of and day of, might have more of an impact on the hike.

Make plans, keep on eye on the mountains before you come out, and then make choices in May.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

I hope we still have good snow in May. I would think it is possible for you to do it. I would start by searching the Trip Reports on here for the mountain you are thinking, and filter the results to include the month of May only. Quandary would probably be a good place to start your research. I would think micro spikes are a going to be needed. I bet you will have a great time, take it slow and turn around if you need to.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

1) Will the mountain be too snowy in mid May for a bunch of intermediate level hikers?
There will be snow (March, April, and May is usually when the snow is the deepest in the high mountains), but how much snow is "too much" is dependent on the hiker/climber. For Quandary, at the very least I would recommend trekking poles and good boots. Lincoln may or may not require an iceaxe to access the ridgeline, depending on conditions.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

May is still significant winter above treeline most years (80%-90%). That means snowshoes, microspikes and ice axe.
Plus avalanche conditions and strongly recommended avalanche rescue gear.
June is the transitional month- you may need snow tools at the beginning, and just boots at the end. I tell people booking expensive trips July 1 to be sure.

There may be some 13ers like Sniktau and Cupid that are approachable in the spring with no gear.