Help me winterize?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alicat423
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help me winterize?

Post by Alicat423 »

This is super helpful and yes I realize some of this was probably over zealous for the winter in Colorado but I am going through the Yukon and Alaska so hopefully I can figure out the rest once I get to Canada.
Thanks for all the good tire tips!
I definitely plan on being super cautious and safe so hopefully that eliminates the idiot factor ;)

I can't wait to get out there! I specifically bought this car hoping to take it on a Colorado road trip haha :)
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

With your specific trip in mind I would definitely recommend getting snow tires. I've heard rumors that Canada AND Alaska can get a lot of snow. :mrgreen:
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Here's a link from CDOT and how you may be able to get a discount on new winter tires here in CO....

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

There's good advice in this thread (polar's suggestions about stuff to carry IN your vehicle is excellent), but there's also advice that I feel is missing a key point: that you've never really driven in significant winter conditions.

Sure, people can get by with decent all-season tires. Is it a good idea for someone who will be learning on the fly on an extended road trip in the winter? I don't think so. The stakes are pretty high if you get into an accident since you're basically moving house... not just in terms of personal safety but your mobility and costs associated with the lack thereof and having to get your vehicle repaired (or replaced).

An appropriate set of snow or studded tires is going to be cheaper than repairs from almost any accident you get involved in. And its not like you have to throw them away in the spring ... it's a pretty sure bet that there will be a winter next year.

A key to driving in winter conditions is just to remember that it's friction that holds your vehicle in place on the ground. Any sudden changes to power or momentum can overwhelm that friction and cause a loss of traction and control. This is as true on dry ground as it is on ice: what happens on dry ground when you try to take a very sharp corner too fast? Your tires slide. It's exactly the same thing happening on ice and snow - the only difference is that on ice and snow there is less friction so much smaller changes in power or momentum can overwhelm the friction and cause that same loss of control.

To that point, when driving on icy or snowy (or even wet) roads, drive gently: accelerate gently, brake gently, turn gently - do not make dramatic changes in the power or momentum of your vehicle.

When you get out here and it's snowed, find an empty (preferably unplowed) parking lot somewhere and play around for an hour or two (or however long it takes to get a feel for how it all works):

ACCELERATING
- Stop, then gun it and feel your tires spin.
- Stop and accelerate slowly.

BRAKING
- When moving forward, slam on the brakes and feel the vehicle slide.
- When moving forward, apply the brakes gradually.
(Think about how this affects how long it will take you to stop - you'll need to brake earlier than you might be used to to stop at the same place.)

TURNING
- When moving forward, turn the wheel sharply and you'll likely feel the vehicle break traction and keep sliding forward.
- When moving forward, turn the wheel slowly.
- Repeat these things a few times and notice how there's a correlation between forward speed and how gently you need to turn the wheel to maintain control - so if you need to make a sharp corner, the vehicle needs to be going more slowly.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Hi Alicat 423. I have lived in Summit County for 38+ years, which equals about 32 years of winter so I know a bit about winter driving. There is plenty of good advice already but I'll add a few things. You will need your antifreeze/coolant to be suitable for -40 F. This is norm for auto shops around here. I wouldn't bother with a block heater as long as your battery is in very good shape,which it should be. Also make sure that the wiper blades are fresh. They do make them for winter driving conditions , but might be hard to find where you live so maybe buy them here. A new air filter makes a big difference at altitude , money well spent. I don't like to mix windshield washer fluid with water because the water will freeze anyway. Just put it in straight. The auto sock is popular in Europe but I don't have any experience with them. Might be worth checking it out though. Drive Defensively

Last edited by planet54 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

As for "idiots in SUVs", as someone else already said, that has nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with a driver that thinks having a large, AWD or 4WD vehicle makes them immune from slippery conditions, so they fly down the highway as if the road is dry - right up until they blow straight through a corner and end up upside down in a ditch - hopefully not taking out other people along the way.
People need to realize that no matter how bada$$ your ride is, no matter what you paid, the laws of physics apply equally to everyone.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Lot's of good advice. Re: snow tires, Since you are moving to Alaska, just invest in a good set. There is an up front cost of course, but they are worth every penny for the added traction, control, efficiency, safety and general peace of mind. If you trade them out seasonally, you extend the life of each set of tires over time if you intend to keep your vehicle for the long term (the cost benefit is increased if you mount the snow tires on an extra set of wheels).

I used to insist upon studded snow tires, which are awesome on snow and ice, but get annoying when driving on bare pavement on trips or between storms. I have been using non studded Michelin Latitude X Ice tires on my last two vehicles and they are honestly about as good as studded tires and are much quieter and efficient on dry pavement.

Today, just to test traction of the Michelin X Ice on our newer car, a 2013 Subaru Outback, I drove up/down a snowy/icy 5 mile climb, with a max gradient of 18% without a bit of slippage, even from a dead stop on the steepest pitch.

Of course with any tires/vehicle, practice a bit in an empty, snowy lot to get the feel of how your car reacts to various scenarios. As previosly mentioned, always go slower than you think you need to go (but within reason, if you go too slow, you'll create dangerous situations if you hold up a huge line of traffic). Just keep it mellow and don't do anything sudden, maintian extra follow distance, etc... Good luck!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Going to lower weight oil (see owner manual) makes cold starts easier, as does warmed oil (what heaters are for). Big battery (high CCA). Hold a hot cup of coffee without a lid between your legs. ;)
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Alicat423 wrote:I need some help as much as anyone is able to...
I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander 4wd. I've never driven in true winter conditions. I'm coming to Colorado for one month from TN for lots of skiing, hiking, climbing, etc. I'll be all over 70 from Denver to Aspen. Then I will make my way up to Montana, through Canada, and finally to Anchorage Alaska.
Some things I apparently need are
New tires (do I have to have snow tires?)
Engine block heater
Snow chains

Does anyone have a specific brand recommendation or a car shop that they trust? Can be anywhere from Kansas City, Denver, anywhere between vail and aspen, Great Falls, Montana.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know much of what I'm doing and I have seen many complaints of idiots in SUVs in Colorado. Help me not be one? Lol

I guess the best thing would get everything sorted in Denver? Idk. I can't do anything in TN because no one knows anything about this stuff either and I don't want to drive snow tires on a highway for the 1000 miles to Colorado I would think.

Anything would be a huge help as my head is spinning from Google... :/
Honestly, you don't need most of those things, though some of them would be nice, and would provide you with a better margin of safety.

Snow tires would be helpful, though the driver is the biggest part of the equation in every case. Two of my three vehicles just have all season tires, and I drive in the mountains year round, have done so for decades, and I've never crashed. One of my vehicles has studded snow tires, and they are nice, but I wouldn't buy them for one single trip.

Snow chains are helpful if you're going to be way off the beaten path, but normally aren't necessary on a 4WD vehicle with good tires on the main mountain corridors.

A block heater sure isn't necessary for a gas powered vehicle around here. Even my diesel reliably starts without using the block heater out here (though it starts to protest a bit when the temperatures reach -20F or so, which is a pretty rare occurrence — and, again, starting a diesel truck is a lot different than starting a gas engine in the cold). A block heater may be more helpful way up north, but you don't need it in Colorado. A thinner weight motor oil can help as well. For example, I run synthetic 5W40 in my diesel in winter, because the engine doesn't start as easily with the standard 15W40 when it's cold. But, only use oil weights recommended for your vehicle.
Alicat423
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alicat423 »

I guess I didn't clarify that I'm making the drive because I'm moving to Alaska.
Anyway I'm getting more kind of mixed reviews so I am still not entirely sure what to do haha. I will call a couple of mechanics and see what several of them have to say as well and just keep comparing... Just want to be safe but practical.
I appreciate everyone's advice and esp the winter driving tips! I should be an expert after the 4000 mile journey this December ;)
I read my owners manual last night and found out I have something called ECT snow whatever that is..
The adventure continues!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Great tips. Sounds like you would do well to pick up snow tires in Denver, then (with plenty of options and avoid putting miles on the way out here).
Any 'good' tires are really going to help -- 2WD vehicles with good rubber are often better than 4WD/AWD with little. Some of the 'idiot SUV' comments refer to overconfidence in both ability and equipment -- I've often seen the actual tires being neglected.
A couple general possible useful tips: there's a Tire Rack distribution center on the east side of Denver/Aurora area, just off I-70 -- you can order and pick up tires there and have them installed at the shop of your choice. I also generally found the shops in the west Denver/west-Colfax area/Golden, also to be competitive in price and easy to access. Mostly, these are ideas about areas to look without having to go 'into the city' if that's helpful.

Other thing I'd add about driving defensively, that drives me nuts, is people packing together in 'wolf packs' on the road, made much worse and dangerous in winter conditions. It is uncanny to see a glob of cars next to each other on icy, snowy roads with tons of open space ahead and behind. That makes your vehicle about as (un)safe as the worst driver and tires around you. In which case it is better to speed up or slow down to separate the pack. And along the lines of friction and slipping, try to accelerate/decelerate opportunistically in straight, clearer stretches of road. People hit the brakes entering curves, or accelerate/pass in curves...bad news.

Have a great winter -- looks like you're set up to do so in some great places!
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Alicat423 wrote:I guess I didn't clarify that I'm making the drive because I'm moving to Alaska.
Anyway I'm getting more kind of mixed reviews so I am still not entirely sure what to do haha. I will call a couple of mechanics and see what several of them have to say as well and just keep comparing... Just want to be safe but practical.
I appreciate everyone's advice and esp the winter driving tips! I should be an expert after the 4000 mile journey this December ;)
I read my owners manual last night and found out I have something called ECT snow whatever that is..
The adventure continues!
If you are moving to a cold weather / snow climate then it probably makes sense to invest in snow tires. A block heater may or may not be necessary, and you'd probably do well to check with people on the Alaska side for an answer to that question (with the answer probably depending largely upon where you are within that very large state). If you temperatures aren't routinely below -30F for a gas powered car I don't think you'll need a block heater, though it will certainly give you easier and softer starts in winter.

From what I understand the "ECT Snow" is an electronic transmission control function that changes the shifting pattern of your vehicle. Among other things I believe it causes your vehicle to start out in second gear (instead of first) to avoid wheel slip, and I think it also changes the manner in which your transmission shifts in higher gears.

Remember (again) that the driver if the biggest factor in all of this. I drove a rear wheel drive Crown Victoria full-time at work in Denver winters for over a decade before we moved to something better. We never had snow tires on those cars, and there was only one blizzard I can think of where we simply couldn't get through some of the snow in that vehicle (and that vehicle is about the worst you could think of for snow driving).