Easiest class 3 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
technicolorNH
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Easiest class 3 14er?

Post by technicolorNH »

The class 3 14er that's best for your first ascent depends on your abilities, not anyone else. Options abound but what you should really be focusing on is what the route you're taking involves. Using Lindsey as an example I'd have to say that the north couloir was class 2, with only mild exposure. Serious exposure makes me nervous, so it was great for me. In some parts the footing was sketchy though, so I gladly climbed steeper class 3 parts in exchange for getting off the dreck in the middle of the couloir. For those who have trouble navigating and route finding but have serious stamina and no issues with exposure or crowds Longs is a fantastic introduction to class 3. The bull's eyes make it very difficult to go off course and on a summer day there are going to be people on the route visibly demonstrating how it's done. As someone said earlier, descending the same way you went up is also a good idea, until you learn how to route find enough to keep yourself out of trouble. If not, find a more experienced partner to pair up with.
Esturtz617
14ers: 5 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Esturtz617 »

In my opinion, Kelso Ridge is the easiest class 3 router up a 14er. Most of the exposed moves are avoidable, minus the knife edge which is much easier then it looks. The reason I didn't choose Wetterhorn is that towards the end, it becomes very exposed very fast and there is no way around it. If you want a good intro to class 3, my best recommendation would be Father Dyer. This one is great because, like Kelso, you can pick your poison, so to speak. The ridge crest is a solid, exposed 3, while most of it is avoidable by descending onto the slopes a little bit. In addition, because Father Dyer is a 13er, you often have it all to yourself.
“The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Long's is easy class 3 in terms of exposure. However, it is a LONG hike and most people are pretty tired by the time they reach the Keyhole, so I doubt it is the easiest class 3 14er overall. Definitely NOT Crestone Needle. Sorry that's about the limit of my class 3 experience, unless you think Sneffel's is class 3 in a few places like I do.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
dtron
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dtron »

I'm enjoying this thread as well (very informative), so I thought I'd post the list below for some feedback. Thoughts on how the Class 3 routes are ranked in this list? I understand that length of approach is factored into these rankings, so that likely causes it to deviate away from pure technical challenge. Those of us who haven't set foot on these peaks are probably mostly concerned with technical & route finding challenges.

https://www.14ers.com/routes_bydifficulty.php
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

My first Class 3 14er was Snowmass, but Longs Peak, Kit Carson, and Wetterhorn are probably most people’s first Class 3. Kelso Ridge is often climbed as a first Class 3 14er although it’s more exposed than the others. Bierdstadt to Evans via the Sawtooth would make for a good first Class 3 route, as would Sneffels.

Edit - Crestone Peak (not the Needle) would also make a good first Class 3 as it is not too steep, and not that exposed for the majority of the scrambling in the Red Gully.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

I agree that anything you feel comfortable climbing up should also feel the same on the way down.
I have met many hikers who will say " it is a easy hike", "nothing you can't do" and yet until one is not up there, one does not realize of their own limits. Just make sure you are with someone you trust and know he/she is going to be honest and trustworthy of your decision to continue or turn around if it is too eerie.
So just see how it feels. Not one climb & hike is the same. Above all, have fun and never regret your decisions if anything, learn from them.
Never,never give up!.
Total Redline
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Total Redline »

Gene913 wrote:Wilson Peak is a great introduction to Class 3.
Lindsey's NW ridge is another Class 3 route.
The others already mentioned - Sneffels SW ridge and Wetterhorn - are also nice routes
S. Maroon, Snowmass and Longs keyhole are Class 3 but, IMHO, each has a challenge that precludes is from being considered a good Class 3 intro.

I am looking to do my first 14er, and I'm thinking its between snowmass and S. Maroon (we are doing 4 loop pass). Which would you suggest in over all satisfaction? And is it a good idea to attempt these?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Total Redline wrote:
Gene913 wrote:Wilson Peak is a great introduction to Class 3.
Lindsey's NW ridge is another Class 3 route.
The others already mentioned - Sneffels SW ridge and Wetterhorn - are also nice routes
S. Maroon, Snowmass and Longs keyhole are Class 3 but, IMHO, each has a challenge that precludes is from being considered a good Class 3 intro.

I am looking to do my first 14er, and I'm thinking its between snowmass and S. Maroon (we are doing 4 loop pass). Which would you suggest in over all satisfaction? And is it a good idea to attempt these?
Neither for a 1st 14er unless you've climbed a bunch of other Class 3 peaks. Both are loose, dangerous and arduous.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Like others have said Wetterhorn is pretty easy and was my first class 3. I think the shorter the class 3 section, the easier the route finding and the less it will mess with your head. Wetterhorn fits this bill. I’ve known people with zero experience get up and down this one. Have fun! Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Unfortunately taken down, I'm not a statistician but I'd think it probably has enough entries to be at least fairly accurate :

https://web.archive.org/web/20170610091 ... ksrall.php

14ers by difficulty poll from this site
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

kaiman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm My first Class 3 14er was Snowmass, but Longs Peak, Kit Carson, and Wetterhorn are probably most people’s first Class 3. Kelso Ridge is often climbed as a first Class 3 14er although it’s more exposed than the others. Bierdstadt to Evans via the Sawtooth would make for a good first Class 3 route, as would Sneffels.

Edit - Crestone Peak (not the Needle) would also make a good first Class 3 as it is not too steep, and not that exposed for the majority of the scrambling in the Red Gully.

Kai
Honestly the hardest part of Peak was Broken Hand Pass. It's a long day.

Wetterhorn is also a nice first one because the relatively short overall mileage.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Above_Treeline wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:09 am Unfortunately taken down, I'm not a statistician but I'd think it probably has enough entries to be at least fairly accurate :

https://web.archive.org/web/20170610091 ... aksall.php

14ers by difficulty poll from this site
The new page is much better...

https://www.14ers.com/routes_bydifficulty.php
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs