Looking to climb first 14er this winter. Seeking Advice.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BPritchard42
Trip Reports (0)

Looking to climb first 14er this winter. Seeking Advice.

Post by BPritchard42 »

Hello everyone, my name is Brandon and I live in Castle Rock. I am seeking advice for my first winter ascent at a front range 14er. The highest I have climbed was on Pikes Peak during the summer when I made it up to 12,400 ft. and just recently post holed through to snow to tree line. I now have a new found desire to climb some 14ers this winter. So my question is which peak should I attempt first and what gear will it require. I have good boots and micro spikes as well as a decent Osprey day pack for water, food, and extras. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking to climb first 14er this winter. Seeking Advice.

Post by climbingaggie03 »

My first winter 14er was quandry. It's a pretty short hike and sees enough traffic to make the trail easy to follow. I hiked it on MLK day one year in gore tex trail running shoes and maybe gaiters, but no micro spikes or snow shoes necessary. Never know what trail conditions will be but it was pretty mellow that day. I also know a guy that got lost in bad weather on quandry, ended up spending the night out and getting rescued by SAR the next day. He got some pretty gnarly frost bite and was pretty lucky to get out at alive. So it can be pretty relaxed but don't let your guard down, in winter things can change fast and the conditions are usually a lot less forgiving than in summer.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

I know its not Front Range but Quandary is a good place to start. In fact, a conveniently organized hike is taking place there on the 9th, perfect for a someone who hasn't done a 14er in calendar winter (like me).

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 89#p594089

As for your gear question, there are several thorough discussions on the forum, but to sum it up I would try to leave the least amount of skin exposed as possible--unless your overheating-- and allow no snow to get in your boots (gaiters). Hiking poles and microspikes are nice for traction and for keeping balance too.

Keep in mind that 14ers are more difficult in winter, with snow to walk through, cold to deal with, and worst of all, IMO, wind. If your failed attempt on Pikes was because of exhaustion or altitude sickness and not something environmental like a storm, I would do some easier practice peaks in the area or something like that
BPritchard42
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BPritchard42 »

CreekRunner wrote:I know its not Front Range but Quandary is a good place to start. In fact, a conveniently organized hike is taking place there on the 9th, perfect for a someone who hasn't done a 14er in calendar winter (like me).

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 89#p594089

As for your gear question, there are several thorough discussions on the forum, but to sum it up I would try to leave the least amount of skin exposed as possible--unless your overheating-- and allow no snow to get in your boots (gaiters). Hiking poles and microspikes are nice for traction and for keeping balance too.

Keep in mind that 14ers are more difficult in winter, with snow to walk through, cold to deal with, and worst of all, IMO, wind. If your failed attempt on Pikes was because of exhaustion or altitude sickness and not something environmental like a storm, I would do some easier practice peaks in the area or something like that
Thanks Creekrunner, actually both times on Pikes Peak I had to turn around due to the time. I started too late and couldn't summit before my turn around time. I definitely will get an early start next time. It didn't help that I went up Barr trail as it makes for a long hike up the Peak.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

I recommend Quandary Peak since it was my first winter summit of a 14er at age 75.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Since you are living in Colorado, you have some idea what a below zero wind chill is. It go to to -30F near the summit if the wind picks up and fog moves in.
There was just a thread of a rescue on Quandry of someone who got hyperthermia. Yoou want to protect your legs, feet, face, fingers, etc. from such cold.
You also want to layer. If the sun comes out and the wind dies down, it can be 50F in the woods.

Its usually very windy on Loveland pass with sub-zero wind chills. You might test your gear there first to see if it is sufficient and not be too far from to safety your car.