Best month to climb

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Best month to climb

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

SkaredShtles wrote:February.
After a while, it's just not funny anymore.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:
I can assure you, sir, that I don't know what you're talking about.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

GeezerClimber wrote:Most of my most enjoyable climbs have been in September. More benign weather and lighter crowds, especially on weekdays.

Dave
I second that especially if you don't want a snow ascent.
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Scott P wrote:
Think this is to ambitious :-D ?
Only if you are morbidly obese, under four years old, or older than 80.
Do you think that it would be too ambitious for me to try more 14ers at age 81?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Ambitious, but not impossible. My grandparents were climbing peaks into their 80's. I assume my dad still will be too. He'said 73 this year and hiked the John Muir trail with my kids last year. He also climbed Mt Whitney with us and climbs peaks or hikes almost every day.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Scott P wrote:Ambitious, but not impossible. My grandparents were climbing peaks into their 80's. I assume my dad still will be too. He'said 73 this year and hiked the John Muir trail with my kids last year. He also climbed Mt Whitney with us and clubs peaks or hikes almost every day.
That's terrific. Yes, ambitious, but not too ambitious as long as we in 80s enjoy good health.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I'm not gonna tell you.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

SkaredShtles wrote:
Wish I lived in CO wrote:
I can assure you, sir, that I don't know what you're talking about.
I think it is still funny. I can't decide who is funnier, ScaredSh**tless or SchralpTheGnar.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

September is my favorite month for hiking as well.

Also, I would highly recommend considering lower peaks as well as the 14ers. For example, I like the Sniktau/Grizzly/etc. options from Loveland Pass much better than Grays/Torreys (which is right next to them). For practically every 14er, there are many other options that are less crowded and more fun.
Turtle Boy
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

rdp32 wrote:September is my favorite month for hiking as well.

Also, I would highly recommend considering lower peaks as well as the 14ers. For example, I like the Sniktau/Grizzly/etc. options from Loveland Pass much better than Grays/Torreys (which is right next to them). For practically every 14er, there are many other options that are less crowded and more fun.
+1

Both statements are spot on. I really enjoy the wilderness experience of the lessor peaks.

I have certainly had fewer weather issues/turn backs in September than any other month. The weather is generally beautiful and the climbing less crowded particularly if you can head out mid week.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

JChitwood wrote:<snip>

I think it is still funny. I can't decide who is funnier, ScaredSh**tless or SchralpTheGnar.
That is Skared to you, Buddy. :evil:
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

September has the best weather, but July has the best wildflowers. Also, don't overlook lower mountains if you don't want to deal with snow in early summer. If you want suggestions I'm sure we can come up with a few.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump