Winter ascent and camping

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14erjoe
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Winter ascent and camping

Post by 14erjoe »

I'm looking for recommendations for a winter ascent later in January in the Mosquito, Sawatch or Sangre range. Ideally something not too technical with a fairly safe winter route. Also, my base camp will be a popup camper so if anyone knows of a route where we could potentially tow a camper into and park for a few nights that isn't too far from the trailhead that would be awesome. Thanks.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Winter ascent and camping

Post by I Man »

Elbert would be a great choice. You can easily drive to the South Elbert TH and the route is avy safe and relatively gentle the whole way.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
14erjoe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erjoe »

Thanks I Man. Do you mean the East Ridge? The East Ridge appears to be the most popular winter route from what I can tell. The Southeast ridge looks like it has some steeper sections that could be avy terrain.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Yeah, east ridge, great winter route. I don't know if you can camp at the trailhead though.
14erjoe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erjoe »

Cool. Yeah if not at the trailhead it looks like there are numerous campgrounds in that area and county roads so I'm sure we could find someplace to park the camper.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The east ridge route is accessed from the South Elbert TH. Accessible all year round (plowed). Not sure if you camp at the TH. Don't think any of the close FS campgrounds are open this time of year.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Just don't try to camp at any of the closed campgrounds, the dude was all like "can't camp here" and we were like "WTS, there's no one around and we'll be out in the morning" and the dude was like "doesn't matter gotta go" and we were all like "no way" but ended up having to leave.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

there are several very nice campsites on the way to the East Route Trail Head, You probably cant get your pop up all the way into the trail head but if u willing to leave behind and drive in the rest of the 1/4 mile with a 4x4 or foot it, you probably will enjoy and avoid fighting the campground management and get forced to leave at threat of Law Enforcement involvement as some guys would... East route has very low Avy danger and is one of the easier mountains, wind exposure is pretty high on that route but that is a trade off of low avy, you can gear up for wind but other than the insta inflater suit not a ton of clothes designed for avy
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Voshkm wrote:there are several very nice campsites on the way to the East Route Trail Head, You probably cant get your pop up all the way into the trail head but if u willing to leave behind and drive in the rest of the 1/4 mile with a 4x4 or foot it, you probably will enjoy and avoid fighting the campground management and get forced to leave at threat of Law Enforcement involvement as some guys would... East route has very low Avy danger and is one of the easier mountains, wind exposure is pretty high on that route but that is a trade off of low avy, you can gear up for wind but other than the insta inflater suit not a ton of clothes designed for avy
The summer TH is not accessible this time of year.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

rijaca wrote:The summer TH is not accessible this time of year.
True most years but in 2013 the summer TH was easily accessible on MLK weekend with a 4WD. I've car camped at the winter TH and seen other do so as well. Speaking from experience, it can get pretty cold in that parking lot!