Winter Hiking for Beginners?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Winter Hiking for Beginners?

Post by Trotter »

Jay521 wrote:
Dex wrote:You also need to consider your car - good battery, jump box, can handle snowy conditions.
As one who goes solo probably 90% of the time, I would add a few more items to your vehicle - a couple shovels, a couple tow straps, a come-a-long and a saw. Trees CAN come down on the road behind you while you are out on your trek. Ask me how I know.... Also, always have as full a tank of gas as you can before venturing off the main roads.
never even thought of the tree issue. Guess I'll have to add a saw to my jeep
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche