14er Newbie

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er Newbie

Post by 3rdGenNative »

July 20 two years ago was great. We did our first family 14er. The snow had been seriously deep that year and it made for Fantastic wildflowers in American Basin. The hike is really, Really straight forward. As someone said before, prepare as you have done before and you should be fine.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Build up stamina in advance. Try to jog for an hour or walk fast for three hours.
South Texas does have much to build climbing muscles. Maybe build up stair walking both up and down for at least 20 minutes.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Richard Derkase wrote:
peter303 wrote:South Texas does NOT have much to build climbing muscles.
There are nearly 9,000 foot mountains in south Texas.

Dick
More precisely the southeast is flat then. You have to drive three hours west to start seeing some hills. The most running topography I found in Houston was about 20 vertical feet in and out of the bayou streambanks. The Rice University Stadium bleachers are open to the public a few times a week for step running. The Houston soapbox derby takes over a freeway ramp for a slope.
laforge296
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laforge296 »

:-D Handies was a great climb. It was not too difficult, just altitude and having to catch breath. I took the Grizzly Gulch route and met some really nice people on the summit. I an coming back in September to climb Wetterhorn and can't wait. It will be my first Class 3 climb to do.
Brent