14er Newbie

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
laforge296
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

14er Newbie

Post by laforge296 »

Planning on climbing Handies in July 2016. Coming up from Beaumont, TX (25' above Seal Level). Have climbed Uncompahgre (2000), Redcloud/Sunshine (2015). Any helpful comments are appreciated.
Brent
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: 14er Newbie

Post by MtnHub »

Go for it! I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to hit it; it looks to be more straight forward than Uncompahgre. Try to get a day or two to acclimate before your climb and hydrate well. Good luck!
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

I'd say just do whatever you did when you climbed the other three. Handies isn't as technically difficult as Uncompahgre or as physically challenging as the Redcloud/Sunshine combo so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Side note: the American Basin approach to Handies is great, especially around that time of the year.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

On an "easy" day hike like that the biggest risk is going too quickly and wearing yourself out. Limit yourself to 1000' vertical per hour if you're concerned about not summitting due to fatigue.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

laforge296 wrote:(25' above Seal Level).
Wow. Some think KS is low, but I think you've won the Elevation Limbo Contest this round! :mrgreen: If looking for something more, consider a Grizzly-Handies-American-Road loop. Try out some trekking poles if you haven't yet; 2015 stuff will likely go on sale soon. Hydrate
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

laforge296 wrote:Planning on climbing Handies in July 2016. Coming up from Beaumont, TX (25' above Seal Level). Have climbed Uncompahgre (2000), Redcloud/Sunshine (2015). Any helpful comments are appreciated.
If you've done Uncompaghre and the Redcloud/Sunshine combo, Handies will be relatively simple. I might add a suggestion though that may make it a little more interesting, just because it's what my kids and I did when we hiked Handies...ascend from Grizzly Gulch so you can take in the fantastic view of the mountain on your approach and then descend via American Basin, well, because it's American Basin and you don't want to miss out on that beautiful area either. It is a really straightforward and simple way to get to enjoy all that Handies has to offer. I am glad that is how we did it. It only adds about 2 miles of distance, and it is all road hiking back to GG from AB. If I ever hike Handies again I am going to do it this exact same way.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

laforge296 wrote:Planning on climbing Handies in July 2016. Coming up from Beaumont, TX (25' above Seal Level). Have climbed Uncompahgre (2000), Redcloud/Sunshine (2015).
Lake City is a favorite summer venue for many folks from the Lone Star state. The draw is understandable. It is a favorite for many.

Have done Handies from both Grizzly Gulch and American Basin. Just not a loop that included both in one climb.
The loop suggestions above certainly have much to commend them.

Were I to give Handies another go, I think I would do it from Grizzly Gulch and add a climb of 13,542 Whitecross Mountain on the descent http://14ers.com/13ers/peak.php?peakkey=2250.

No bad choices or options for Lake City San Juan range peaks. Enjoy.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
laforge296
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laforge296 »

:-D Thank You all for your response and support. Hopefully the weather will hold and I can check this off of my list. Next year probably Wetterhorn.
Brent
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Ascend as fast as possible, ideally just drive straight to the trailhead from Texas and start climbing.
Drink lots of alcohol before, during, and after your hike.
Bring minimal clothing, shorts, t-shirt and flip flops are all you need.
Don't tell anyone where you are going.
Avoid drinking water and eating food.
beburke30
14ers: 25 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beburke30 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Ascend as fast as possible, ideally just drive straight to the trailhead from Texas and start climbing.
+1
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Ascend as fast as possible, ideally just drive straight to the trailhead from Texas and start climbing.
That's pretty much how I do all my class 1-3 14ers. Only differences are that I wear trail runners instead of flip flops and I'm coming from Littleton instead of the dirty south. So far so good... :iluvbeer:

Handies from the American Basin in July is awesome. I've done that one a couple of times and I'd be thrilled to have an excuse to go back to that area over and over again to keep repeating it.
Where ever you are... There you are.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

laforge296 wrote::-D Thank You all for your response and support. Hopefully the weather will hold and I can check this off of my list. Next year probably Wetterhorn.
Do Wetterhorn this year instead - fun! Good early test for class 3 and some exposure.