Keep getting bad headaches after coming down.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Keep getting bad headaches after coming down.

Post by killerpitou »

I would say dehydration is your culprit. With a longer hike I bet the headache would come in well before you hit your car.
That's one funny thing with your body with this type of effort. By the time you are thirsty it's too late. And hard to catch up after that....Make a point to drink every 10 or 15 minutes to keep things steady and don't wait to be thirsty. It's a discipline you need to learn.... Ibuprofen won't hurt but needs to be processed and then filtered through your kidneys. So if you are dehydrated you will put your kidneys at risk as well as you need lots of fluid to eliminate safely the produce of Ibuprofen.
Thinner air can get you a headache too but you would get that right away at the top. Not that delayed. If I were you I would try first to focus on hydration and if you are still having problems try to add the meds to your recipe.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Everyone is different.

When I first moved here (Colorado) in the 80's, I took 2 full strength aspirin (YUCK) every 4 hours
whenever I was above 10K to avoid the crushing headaches.

Acclimation came slowly - but spending almost every weekend that I could sleeping
above 10K on weekends for a year really helped.

Plus the Moonlight Pizzas in Salida of course.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

+1 on the ibuprofin, and the caffeine suggestions.

Also try to get some sleep the night before. I use a sleeping pill about 8 hours before I have to wake up, works wonders.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Electrolytes...over hydrating can make this worse. I usually experience the same. Sun can contribute also. After sleeping I'm much better. Sweet potatoes and Cheetos can help a lot.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

To mirror what everyone said:
1) Drink a liter of water BEFORE starting your hike. If you don't piss 3x before summiting, then you might be under hydrated. For other people, being super hydrated doesn't really matter, but for you, I would start there.
2) Take 2 advil before starting your hike
3) Start hike before sunrise. It will be cooler and you will be out in the strong sun a lot less.

If a coffee drinker, then going without caffeine "could" play a role. I bring chocolate covered espresso beans ;)

If none of this works, then maybe your body just hates altitude. Don't know what to say.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

cougar wrote:Electrolytes...over hydrating can make this worse. I usually experience the same. Sun can contribute also. After sleeping I'm much better. Sweet potatoes and Cheetos can help a lot.

I agree, but I would start with over hydrating (nothing crazy though), just to see if this is the issue. Hydration really is the savior 80% of the time, and not just climbing.
Vespalad
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vespalad »

For years now I've made it a point to have at least one ice cold Coca-cola waiting for me after a climb.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I agree with the folks who recommend caffeine for the problem you describe. Always worked for me when I've had headaches after getting down.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

When I first started climbing fourteeners I would often get a headache and be nauseous afterward. I'd be fine during the hike, but typically that evening after I got home I'd feet like crap. After I'd completed the closest fourteeners and started working on the Sawatch I was less apt to feel bad afterwards. I was no longer driving up that morning, but spending the night at the trailhead. The extra time for my body to acclimate along with more sleep were obvious benefits.

But there's more to it that. Others have mentioned hydration. When you drive up in the morning it's more a challenge to start the hike hydrated. Part of the acclimation process is for the body to go through a diuresis. This means extra liquid demand to maintain hydration. When you arrive at the trailhead the night before your body can go through this process overnight. From when I leave the city after work Friday evening until I start the hike Saturday morning I typically drink around 3 liters or more of water. It's important to sleep with a water bottle. If you're not getting up a few times overnight to pee you're not drinking enough water. Pound some more water before the hike.

Someone mentioned bringing real food. I agree with this. It's important to be nibbling through out the hike to maintain your blood sugar. Don't wait until you're hungry. I typically have a pre-cut apple and orange along with a bag of mixed nuts & 90% chocolate. I wait until summiting before eating my lunch which is heavier with meat & cheese. Your body needs this fuel.

Before driving back to the city take some time to chill. Change into dry clothes. Have a folding stool to make it easy to change out of your boots. Have extra water & a face cloth so you can wash the sunscreen off face and anything else that needs it. If you're a coffee or tea drinker consider having a stove to make a cup before leaving. If there's a bottled drink you're craving make sure your cooler has enough ice that it's cold. Don't forget chips. Have a pullover map in your head for breaks on the way back. Each time you stop make sure to top up your water bottle. I typically stop on Kenosha Pass before the final push to the city. It's good to get out of the vehicle, stretch, pee, decide what album to throw on and take a few minutes to chill.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

peterkfes wrote:...deliberate and forced deep breathing during descent. My natural breathing on descent was relaxed given the lower level of exertion which I thought was welcomed compared to my flat land gasping during ascent. I now talk to myself out loud "breath Peter, breath" which serves another purpose, it gives my loopiness at altitude real meaning!
I was about to post this advice when I saw that "peterkfes" beat me to the punch. It may sound odd, but hydration has rarely been my issue... and I used to get headaches all the time as I was downclimbing and after getting back to the car. Turns out I just wasn't getting enough oxygen! Specifically, I'd find myself "holding my breath" as I descended (particularly on steep slopes or Class 3). Your body is actually still exerting a lot of energy when going downhill (braking at every step). Depending on speed, my heart rate going downhill is sometimes as fast as going uphill! Remembering to breathe made all the difference for me!
Sirena
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sirena »

I found this site to be useful. I would recommend aspirin not only to relieve pain, but also to thin the blood since thin blood flows much more freely than thick blood. Ibuprofen is a pain reliever and anti inflammatory so that will also help with some of the swelling (edema) in the brain which could easily cause headaches. Hydrating, then of course electrolytes. I also try to hold my breath for about a second when taking long, deep breaths. This helps to allow maximum oxygen absorption during any physical activity. It also helps to lower your heart rate.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179819.php
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Watch out for sunburn, too - a nasty way to get a headache without even knowing it!
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford