Grays and Torrey's basic question/advice

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Grays and Torrey's basic question/advice

Post by CreekRunner »

You should be good. There is one exceptionally rough rocky and trenched out spot right now, but there are several sedans that made it. However, a Golf is shorter in length, so it might be tougher, but I think you would be fine.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

CreekRunner wrote:You should be good. There is one exceptionally rough rocky and trenched out spot right now, but there are several sedans that made it. However, a Golf is shorter in length, so it might be tougher, but I think you would be fine.
Saw a similar sized compact Toyota at that spot. Just FWD so she each time she tried one lost traction and spun in the air and ultimately had to start driving down in reverse a long ways. With all the private property along the road, I leave any non-4WD down by exit 221 as turn arounds are few and vehicles start parking on the side of the road once the upper TH fills making it even narrower. Get your vert on!
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
BenjaminTaylor
14ers: 10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BenjaminTaylor »

I drove my 2009 Impala to the trailhead two weeks ago. I don't plan on doing that again. There are two really rough spots but I got through without too much undercarriage contact. Coming down, I saw a lot of smaller cars parked on the side before a really rough spot halfway. Probably what I should have done.

It's doable, but it's really rutted out and has tons of rocks that you constantly drive over. I would recommend driving as far as it's reasonable, maybe half way and trying to hitch a ride up the rest of the way... or just hike it and add to the adventure!