Tips for overcoming downhill

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tips for overcoming downhill

Post by Voshkm »

[quote="MrsElevation427"]Lol Fahixson
I was just afraid of rolling down hill...

you will only roll down in most cases if you curl up. if you spread eagle you will slide or cartwheel down
MrsElevation427
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrsElevation427 »

gspup wrote:
MrsElevation427 wrote:Lol Fahixson
Class 3 is more hands on, correct. Scrambling? like that hourglass at sunshine....:/
Well yes, but 'usually' there is some kind of obstacle (scree or boulder fields) before the class 3 stuff.

Yes the scree did.. But I did handouts and that was beautiful and way less nerve wrecking. I should note that party odd how I got into this is my man does this, so one, he plans the types thankfully, and two his climbing partner died on the needle... So I'm sure that is part of the psyche behind it too..

Also if the class 2 scree got your nerves going you won't feel much better when you start climbing class 3 stuff.
MrsElevation427
Trip Reports (0)

Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate it, truly.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

MrsElevation427 wrote:Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate it, truly.
Hold on now, don't be talking like this thread is over. No thread is over until TallGrass jumps in and tells us in great detail why we're all wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Over ! It Ain't Over !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG25f13s2JA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

I'm sure the answer was in Tallgrass' question poll thread on how to walk on rocks (or something along those lines).
MrsElevation427
Trip Reports (0)

Monte Meals wrote:Over ! It Ain't Over !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG25f13s2JA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG y'all!! Literally LOLing!!! I will take all the advice and funnies!!!:D
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

stoopdude wrote:Definitely trekking poles.
This has been probably the single most important thing in combatting downhill pain/hangover for me. Just wish I had started using them a few years earlier.
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Hiking poles have been a constant companion with me for a long time!
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

giarcd wrote:Hiking poles have been a constant companion with me for a long time!
When I was a kid, I remember everyone looking for a good "walking" stick and telling the kids to as well. I thought it was just a tactic to occupy/distract kids who can get bored/cranky on hikes. Should have recognized the wisdom, my knees would have been much happier for it.
Its got ELECTROLYTES!