Basic Weather Questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Biscut
Trip Reports (0)

Basic Weather Questions

Post by Biscut »

I am headed to CO for the first time in mid September. I am looking to acclimate day 1 in Denver and get some supplies for the next few days. I am looking to leave Denver about 4am on day 2 and head to Bierdsdat TH. I've seen the topos and the trail looks pretty meek so I figure a great one to start off on and see how I do with the altitude. If all goes well I'll leave that TH as soon as I make it back, and head to Greys & Torrey's camping at TH. Overnight at 10k ft I hope will help! Then again 4am hit the trail and when back, head to do the Democrat loop; camping at TH of course to stay up high.

My home base is the White's of NH and September can bring a whole lot of different weather. So I do understand the answers here, and what I'm asking for, is just the "general" weather and not the extreme side. Probably the best way to ask: What would you bring for a sleeping bag if you were camping at TH (tent not bivy) mid Sept? I was planning on bringing a 25F bag with liner. What is the type of layers you would 1. bring for trailhead camping, and 2. have in your pack for summit day? I'll have full weatherproof parka and pant in my pack but wonder more about how heavy to go with insulated layers.

I figured best to ask those who would know instead of try and guess.

Thanks.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Basic Weather Questions

Post by Scott P »

Overall, the 14ers are a bit cooler, but a bit drier than the Whites. There are more thunderstorms on the 14ers, though they start to taper down in September (they taper down later in the San Juans, sooner in the Front Range).

A 25 bag with a liner should be fine most of the time in September. Occasionally it drops into the teens or lower in the basins, but 20's are more common.

Basically, just bring the same gear you would in the Whites in September. Temperatures in September on the 14ers are similar to the ones in October on Mt Washington, but most of the 14ers are probably less windy than Mt Washington (Longs is probably just as windy). As mentioned the 14ers are a bit drier as well.

Have a good trip!
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

If it helps, I camped out at the very end of September last year with no tent and no bivy sack, just a tarp, in a 15 degree MH bag and was plenty comfortable. I was around 11,200'.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

For the elevations in question here (~10K to 14K), mid-Sept ~ mid-late October in the Whites. In other words: valleys have cold (often sub-freezing) mornings and warm days, while summits can be quite chilly and windy. Snow can fall on the higher peaks, but doesn't usually last very long (though snow/ice can start to linger on high, shaded areas). Winds are not usually quite as strong this time of year as they are, say, on Mt. Washington, but sometimes can be (the Front Range, in particular, is known for being a windy place). Thunderstorm chances tend to drop off (though not always and not completely). Overall it's a very nice time for hiking 14ers.

Regarding your gear questions, it's hard for me to comment as a lot of it comes down to personal choice and comfort level. Personally, I'd probably find a 25F-rated bag a tad on the cold side by that point - by I really don't like being cold at night. As far as insulation layers for the upper elevations (as well as morning starts), I would recommend something like a lightweight down hooded puffy. This is much more likely to be useful than your "full weatherproof parka" - we just don't get that cold, wind-driven rain where you'd need it all that often here - and if it does happen, you probably don't want to be up there.

Hope this helps!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

While you cannot officially "Camp" at the Bierdsdat TH,
many people do arrive around sunset and roll out a
sleeping bag next to their car for an early start.

I was there last Monday (August 8 ) and there was frost
on the trail before the sun hit it.
Biscut
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Biscut »

Thanks much. Your answers help a lot. This gives me a much better baseline to go off. The 25F bag is Western Mountaineering which, for me, I find on the warmer side of the rating scale. Add the liner for a few extra degrees of warmth and I think I'm good there.

Fall in the White's and VT is my favorite time of year. I'm going to guess it will soon be my favorite time of year in CO!!!!!
Biscut
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Biscut »

Need microspikes? I'm guessing from the sentiment that no need for crampons on basic trails, but will I need microspikes? Most years Sept wouldnt require micro's in the Whites.
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

Chances are you wont need them, but needing them and not having them would suck. If you already own some, bring em!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Biscut wrote:Need microspikes? I'm guessing from the sentiment that no need for crampons on basic trails, but will I need microspikes? Most years Sept wouldnt require micro's in the Whites.
I'd say that this is something you can decide pretty last-minute, the day before you fly out. Condition reports on this site, as well as weather forecasts, should give you a good picture of what's going on.

PS - to be clear, what I meant earlier was that Sept. conditions on the CO 14ers are closer to October conditions in the Presidentials.
Biscut
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Biscut »

AlexeyD wrote:
Biscut wrote:Need microspikes? I'm guessing from the sentiment that no need for crampons on basic trails, but will I need microspikes? Most years Sept wouldnt require micro's in the Whites.
I'd say that this is something you can decide pretty last-minute, the day before you fly out. Condition reports on this site, as well as weather forecasts, should give you a good picture of what's going on.

PS - to be clear, what I meant earlier was that Sept. conditions on the CO 14ers are closer to October conditions in the Presidentials.

I gotcha, and I appreciate it. October can be a pretty random weather month in the Whites but it clarifies things well for me.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

On a related weather note, the predictions for Capitol Peak this week, sunny/clear on one site, snow predictions on the other.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/4307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 7Pd2PkrKUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Bierstadt doesnt have a trailhead sleeping option unless you sleep in your vehicle. And with up to 500 people climbing at all hours of the day and night, the trailhead parking lot is quite noisy.

Both the Georgetown and Grant approaches have established forest campgrounds a few miles from the trailhead, if you are lucky to snag one with hundreds of competitors. The Grant side has some dispersed camping in addition.