First climb

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jphipps2
Trip Reports (0)

First climb

Post by Jphipps2 »

New to the page and new to climbing. I get the privilege to tackle Long's Peak in a.m. First 14er...pretty nervous and excited.
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First climb

Post by Black Bear »

Good luck and have fun, Long's is one of the best 14ers to see and climb!
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Not to be a party pooper, but in addition to Long's not being the most ideal first time climb, but there is a decent amount of snow forecast over night tonight. This is NOT good conditions for most, much less a first timer.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

denvermikey wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but in addition to Long's not being the most ideal first time climb, but there is a decent amount of snow forecast over night tonight. This is NOT good conditions for most, much less a first timer.
This is a good point. I've had to turn back at the Keyhole before due to snow and verglas making the section beyond treacherous...now that I recall, it was actually right around this time of year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I would have to agree with the above.

Longs can be an OK first 14er as long as you know when to turn back, but it is supposed to snow today and tonight, which could make things icy.

On the plus side, tomorrow is supposed to be good weather. It's worse to have the bad weather come in on you rather than before hand.

If you still do want to try this, it is highly recommended that you turn around if conditions get icy. Icy conditions make the route treacherous, even for experienced climbers.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Don't get discouraged if the weather or being up
at altitude becomes over whelming.

It took me three attempts to finally succeed
on Longs.

I've been up that trail 6 times since then
and the last time had to turn around 500 ft
from the summit (Lightning.)

None the less - I've enjoyed every minute that
I have spent up there.
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

Climbed longs in june, trough full of snow, section after the keyhole with good snow fields and plenty of verglas/full ice, homestretch snowed in still. Even after the needle i was way more uncomfortable with the exposure and uncertainties of this hike. Im not trying to talk you out of it but just be prepared. Dont underestimate Longs and if it feels above your level of ability dont push it. Like someone else said, the mountain will still be there years from now, one wrong move and you wont.