Weminuche Weather

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
twystoflemon
Trip Reports (0)

Weminuche Weather

Post by twystoflemon »

Hey Everyone,

I’m planning a trip to the Weminuche Wilderness and would appreciate your insight on weather and gear. I initially planned to visit during the September post-monsoon sweet spot, but due to several reasons, I can’t get away until mid-October.

My plan is to ride the train from Silverton (gotta do it once) to Elk Creek, travel up Vestal Basin, cross to Balsam Lake, and then trek across to No Name and go out Ruby Basin to Needleton. I’d also love to hike up some Class 2 peaks along the way, body and weather willing. FWIW, I’ve read a bunch of the trip reports here, downloaded a few GPS routes, got Cooper’s Scrambles book, and have the relevant 7.5 min topo maps for the area.

I’m a backpacker, and most of my experience has been at lower elevations (7-8k feet), so I don’t currently have snow/ice gear or a helmet.

What’s the likelihood that I can safely do this itinerary in hiking boots (without snow/ice gear) in mid-to-late October? My main concern is getting over the Vestal - Trinity saddle, maybe the peak 5-6 saddle, and also attempting to hike some of the Class 2 peaks. It seems like weather and snow/ice accumulation may be hit or miss at that time of year. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for your help!

-K
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Weminuche Weather

Post by Phill the Thrill »

My personal opinion is that you should take an ice axe and microspikes, at a minimum, into the Weminuche in mid-October. That area got a good amount of snow last week and some of that snow is likely to be present no matter what the weather holds in the next couple weeks. Even if it was currently dry my recommendation wouldn't change - the weather can change quickly this time of year and you wouldn't want to put yourself in a risky situation without an ice axe in such a remote area.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Also keep in mind that so early in the season, there's a chance the snow won't be very consolidated and hard. Having nothing but fluff and soft crap makes an axe and snow gear useless. Until it's more packed down and traverse-able, it's pretty much just there to make things slippery and slow going regardless of what equipment you bring. Micro-spikes are definitely a must have though.
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

There may be only a couple inches of snow on the north sides,or there could be 2 feet of heavy snow. Just keep an eye on the weather and the forecast.
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

I hate to say it but this is impossible to forecast. I spend a lot of time in Ouray and have been able to trail run in late October way up high and also back country ski at roughly the same time in different years. It's such a crap shoot that time of year down there. As you get closer check the snotel sights (which tells you amount of snow on the ground) and the NOAA weather forecast. Opensnow.com is good to use as well. Good luck.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Might be clear and dry, might have several feet of snow, it's impossible to predict right now. FYI, the 1 to 2 feet we got late last week is melting fast. Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

I rode the train to Silverton on Saturday, already quite a bit of snow up high.
20160924_134717_small.jpg
20160924_134717_small.jpg (214.69 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
twystoflemon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by twystoflemon »

Thanks for the input everyone - I really appreciate it. I will look into getting the spikes and axe. I'll keep an eye on the snow forecast sites, too.

In the meantime, I'm going to knock on wood that it's dry when I head up there (one can hope) and come up with a backup itinerary.