Missouri, Belford, and Oxford Combo route.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skibum4life
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Missouri, Belford, and Oxford Combo route.

Post by skibum4life »

I was planning on doing a weekend trip to summit Belford, Oxford, and Missouri. Presumably, we'd hike in to treeline below the trail split, then the next day, climb Belford, traversing to Oxford. Then descend via ski the NW gulch. After the descent, we could either 1) quickly traverse the basin to the base of Missouri's North Face Couloirs, climb and ski, then hike out the next day, or 2) return to camp, and the next day do Missouri, then hike out.
Just wondering what the best option was, and any advice on the couloirs or climbs.
Thanks
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Re: Missouri, Belford, and Oxford Combo route.

Post by benners »

Are you planning to leave skis on the summit of Belford and tag Oxford or are you wanting to ski Oxford as well? To also ski Oxford requires hoofing skis to the summit of Belford a second time, at which point you may have a hard time getting over to the summit of Missouri to ski it with enough time left in the day for a safe descent...which brings up another question...when are you planning to go for this trip? Even if you stashed skis on Belford's summit and just hiked the ridge to Oxford and back it would still be tough to hit all 3, but more plausible. Of course an unusually cold spring day could lend you a descent of all three peaks in one shot, but I would probably count on two days with the possibility of a pleasant surprise if the one day thing happens to work out.

As for the various ski options, the East Face of Belford is a fun ski that maintains a high 30/low 40 degree pitch for 800' feet and drops you into Belford Gulch. Belford's NW Gully and West Gully are great, the West Gully provides a bit more challenge as it narrows into a low 40 degree choke, whereas the NW Gully maintains a low to mid 30 degree pitch and stays farily wide for the entire descent. Both gullys are avalanche chutes so hit them when they're right. The North Face of Missouri is the best ski in the area; over 1,000' of low 40 degree terrain that can usually be skied from the summit. There are several TR's out there which highlight these options.
skibum4life
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Missouri, Belford, and Oxford Combo route.

Post by skibum4life »

i was looking at doing this next April/May if the snow is still good. I know it's a little early to be planning, but I need some time to rally up some friends and I need a good, confident plan. Thanks for the input.