Pikes Peak Conditions? Especially Glen Cove area.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pikes Peak Conditions? Especially Glen Cove area.

Post by England »

Thanks so much for the invite. I have my daughters B-day this weekend. We usually celebrate the entire weekend. Be safe! Post up some picks, because I love your photos.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
hollamby wrote:Didn't summit today, but went up the back side of Pikes Peak to around 13K. There was a lot of powdery snow. I only made it about half way up the road in my 4X4 truck. If you have tire chains and good clearance, you'll be all set to make it to the top though.

Lots of people were skiing.

I am going up tomorrow if anyone wants a hiking partner.

Ryan
Ryan, Which way did you go? I 'shoed up on Sunday and also saw a couple skiers coming out -- but tracks were only to the last stream crossing. From there I was bustin' trail, at the last hour of daylight. Went up Stump Alley and started heading up to the big rock formations but turned around there b/c it was getting late. Back to the car at dark.

Is there a track in now? Up B-rock to the bowl, or Stump Alley?

jgoodhart is looking to do this Sunday -- and Sen (misirlija) and I may also go -- Anyone know current conditions into the bowl (or SA) to DP?

Thx. -- Jim

(England, would you like to join us if we go?)
Yeah, I went the way that the trail goes. It was only me, not sure if the wind covered up my tracks or what. but I was on the correct trail and no one else was heading that wy. Up the bowl.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Anyone want to hit it tomorrow mid to late morning to DP before T-day dinner?
jeffskio
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffskio »

Ill be up at devil's playground tomorrow afternoon/morning
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Nice meeting you, Jeff. Look forward to doing some climbing some time.

--Jim
jeffskio
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffskio »

good to meet you as well. Lets hope for some more snow and get out there climbing again.

Jeff
dangerdave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dangerdave »

How were the conditions? Did you go via crags? I plan to go withing the next day or two, looking for what to expect for snow, thanks for any info! Greatly appreciated!
-Dave
jeffskio
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffskio »

I went from the crags. There is boot pack all the way up past treeline along the stump valley part. This is the left side of the large bowl as you past the water crossing. The snow is about 1.5 feet deep in sections but thinning quickly. I was able to snowboard down to the car about 80% of the way because of rocks exposed. Its good for climbing and ok for riding if you have a board you are willing to be gouged.
dangerdave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dangerdave »

Awesome, thanks for the update, maybe I'll get some snow during the ascent!