why is it called "Mosquito range"?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nkorobov
Trip Reports (0)

why is it called "Mosquito range"?

Post by nkorobov »

I'll be hiking the Mosquito range this next summer and thought to ask, out of curiosity, why is it called the "Mosquito" range? Does it have anything to do with the area having an abundance of summer mosquito activity? Last summer I hiked on the west side of RMNP and was shocked that there were so many mosquitos.

Also, can anyone recommend a good hiking book or two for hikes specifically in the Mosquito and Tenmile ranges? Thanks.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Re: why is it called "Mosquito range"?

Post by unclegar »

I don't know why it is called Mosquito but I personally don't have any recollections of excessive mosquitoes on any of the 14er hikes in that area. Mt. of the Holy Cross is another story. :shock: If you are wanting to do the 14ers in this range, I would suggest adding Quandary Pk. which is in the Ten Mile Range and is very close to the Decalibron (Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross). Also, I believe the summit of Bross is still officially closed. There should be plenty of info on that on this site if you search. I also don't have any book recommendations. Assuming you are only interested in the 14ers, there are only 5 in the Mosquito Range and 4 of them can be done as a combo hike. That is why I suggest adding Quandary (standard route). If you are interested in other peaks in this range, there are plenty of others here that are more qualified than me that can answer questions and make suggestions about them.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

From Borneman and Lampert, A Climbing Guide to Colorado's Fourteeners "The naming of the Mosquito Range is attributed to Judge Wilber Stone, who was painfully aware of the abundance of the pests in the rarefied mountain air. Undecided on a name for his new mining company, Judge Stone left the incorporation papers blank and was stumped until a passing mosquito obliged by landing directly on the blank space. Thus, Judge Stone gained the inspiration for the Mosquito Mining Company, and later the name was adopted for the entire range."
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

The good Judge also thought Mt. Lincoln was well over 17,000 ft. when he ascended
it in June of 1861 by using thermometer tests.
In his defense, he didn't realize South Park was already above 10,000 ft.
Wilbur Stone also helped draft the Colorado constitution.

Enough history.
Getting back to the question @ hand. Just click on
Bill's 13er page, or the Breck 13er page, this will give you all
the info you need.

A side note: I have climbed all the 13ers that surround Fairplay,
they are, for the most part, better climbs than
Sherman or Decalibron.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
randalmartin
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Having camped near Alma about a mile down Buckskin St. I can attest to the abundance of mosquitos in the area. Ravenous evil little beasts. :evil:
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Interesting history!

Like Randalmartin, I can personally attest to the abundance of mosquitos in the area.
Hiked to mosquito pass via Birdseye gulch in the summer of 2008, DEET wasn't enough to keep them at bay.
No problem above treeline, though
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Mosquito Range is one of my favorite areas. Some of the routes I'll gladly repeat:
East Ridge of Father Dyer Peak from Spruce Creek TH, continue over Crystal Peak and Peak 10 and down the ridge to the Wheeler Trail to complete a big loop.
Fletcher from Blue Lakes; optionally add West Ridge of Quandary and return via East Ridge (although walking up the road at the end of the day was a bit tedious, being pulled off a ledge by S&R would be worse).
Sherman-Sheridan-Peerless-Horseshoe loop from Leavick, returning via the road from the Peerless-Horseshoe saddle.
Pacific Peak East Ridge - miles of rolling class-3 goodness.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump