This Weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

This Weekend

Post by Jaymi »

Hi All, My wife and I are flying to Denver this weekend for a couple of day climbs close to Denver (leaving Sunday night). We are both very comfortable on ice and snow (crampons, ice axe, etc.) and have plenty of good winter clothing. Any suggestions for a fun snow climb close to Denver? While we have lots of experience in this type of hike/climb, we are looking for a mountain with low avalanche risk in general especially due to the forecast for the remainder of this week. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Happy Climbing!
cwm
Trip Reports (0)

Re: This Weekend

Post by cwm »

Somebody may be able to give you some specific suggestions. But what do you consider a "snow climb"? There has not been a lot of snow so far this year. The ski resorts are open due to their snow making. Look at how many resorts still list a 18" base, which is mostly man made snow.

So for hiking, climbing, a better description may be that you will find climbs with some snow. Look at some of the pictures on recent trip reports.
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Actually any hikes/climbs near Denver will do (not looking for technical rock climbs). We have done Elbert, Longs, Holy Cross, and Grays and would like to try a couple of different mountains. When I think snow climbs, I generally think of those that require snowshoes or crampons. I will definitely look at recent trip reports, but am also interested in any other thoughts from folks who have hiked near Denver recently but who may have not made trip postings. Thanks.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

If you take a look at the recent avalanche activity involving the early season snow pack, you'll realize that it's been pretty unstable. Several people have gotten hit with slides. It would be best to stick to rocky trails or snow slopes with very low angles. If you really want to see snow, rent some cross country skies and do a nice tour.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

CAIC forecasting low below treeline with pockets of moderate near and above, for the front range areas. Slopes with greatest danger are N, NE, E and SE.

We're looking at Bierstadt, which is near Denver, probably for Saturday, see post under climbing connection. Route is primarily west aspect. That said, any new snow out of this storm is not going to stick well with the cold temps, so loose sluff could be a concern. I have not been up there but my best guess is that most of the climbing above treeline will be on relatively minimal snowpack. Our plans are also contingent upon what this storm brings and how the weather shakes out. You're sure welcome to join us. We're headed up from the Grant side. There are two of us, and interest from three others.
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Thanks for everyone's input. We have decided to do Bierstadt Saturday morning, and if conditions allow, try a sawtooth-evans combo. If conditions are not safe, we will probably just come back down and try Evans (sans Sawtooth) the next day. See you on the trail Dances...I will be the snail trailing behind the blond rabbit!
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Jaymi,

The Front Range conditions are looking colder and windier than the Sawatch. This may be due in part to the individual proclivities of the forecast offices (PUB, GCT, DEN)... but generally, it would be expected that the weak high pressure moves zonally (W to E) before we get pounded again on Sunday.

Sooo....What that means is we are undecided at this moment as to whether to attempt Bierstadt, vs. Massive (or possibly La Plata.) Both Sen and I have done Massive, though there is a GREAT group of folks planning for Massive tomorrow. You can't go wrong with that group. Weather possibly slightly better as well. On the other hand, Bierstadt may be scoured, meaning more sparse snow and lower avy, if we can enjoy the wind and cold. : )

Just wanted to give you a heads up that we will be making a final decision tonight when Sen gets off work, and wanted to make sure you knew that we may possibly be changing plans. Feel free to PM me if you like. I'll try to post later when I talk with Sen (Misirlija.)

Thx,

Jim
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Just a reminder, the north side (I-70) access to Guanella Pass is closed. Saturday is forecast to be very windy in that area, so be prepared.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Jim, on the wind... I know.. : (

Sen is really pretty set on it, so we're going to go for it. If the winds are too much we'll turn back.

Jaymi, we're meeting at Grant, Colorado, at the juction, at 08:00 am. (NIce early start. If we don't summit we'll have to explore the local pubs. : ) What time are you guys planning to be there? Do you have 4wd? What will you be driving?

We'll be taking two 4x4's up the road and hoping to make the gate at Duck Lake, 1.5 miles below the TH. If we get stuck the other 4x4 will pull. Bring some old ropes, preferably static if you have them, and a shovel. And chains. : )

PM me for any additional details.

Jim
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Jim, on the wind... I know.. : (
Looks like a good weekend to stay low and/or watch football. The current forecast is for winds of 30+ and gusts of 50+ all morning. :shock:
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Jim Davies wrote:
Looks like a good weekend to stay low and/or watch football. The current forecast is for winds of 30+ and gusts of 50+ all morning. :shock:
I like Sen's attitude about the weatherman: Just go.

Today was a stellar day. Those 55 mph winds were absolutely killing us. We had to hang onto rocks at the summit ridge. Turned a Class 2 Grade II into a Class 3 Grade IV. It was all the suffering we could possibly have hoped for. : )

Seriously, we stayed on the summit for nearly an hour. It was cold but the sun was out. It was totally calm. No winds at the summit. None. Calm. Sweet. So much for Mr. Weatherman.

Thanks, Sen, for a great climb. That makes four great winter ascents in the past 35 days.

PS...I wonder how Brit and Steve and Michael and the gang did over on Massive? I'm sure they had a nice day as well.

Jim
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:
I like Sen's attitude about the weatherman: Just go.

Today was a stellar day. Those 55 mph winds were absolutely killing us. We had to hang onto rocks at the summit ridge. Turned a Class 2 Grade II into a Class 3 Grade IV. It was all the suffering we could possibly have hoped for. : )

Seriously, we stayed on the summit for nearly an hour. It was cold but the sun was out. It was totally calm. No winds at the summit. None. Calm. Sweet. So much for Mr. Weatherman.

Thanks, Sen, for a great climb. That makes four great winter ascents in the past 35 days.

PS...I wonder how Brit and Steve and Michael and the gang did over on Massive? I'm sure they had a nice day as well.

Jim
Here's my post from the Massive thread:

We had a great day on Massive! Anyone who was scared away by the cold temps earlier in the week, REALLY missed out. It turned out to be 15 degrees warmer than we anticipated when we headed out this morning. Instead of -5 it was 10 above. Then, the sun was out all morning with no winds in the valley, and with relatively mild winds higher up. (Some gusts up on the ridgeline and summit, but nothing to speak of compared to many winter days.

7 of us departed the TH just before 7am, 7 of us summited. 7 of us made it out safely. (Oh yea....and one dog...Cooper the Mountain Sheep!)

The snow level was very low. Much of the lower south-west (sun-baked) slopes are dry with minimal snow. Some snow in the valley near the creek, but snowshoes were not needed. (Most of us left them in the vehicles.) And higher up, the majority of the the snowfields could be avoided. However, on the descent, much glissading was to be found! What a great way to get off a mountain when your tired and just ready to get back to the vehicle.

All-in-all, it was a surprisingly nice December day and climb. I had one of the best times out in the mountains in a couple months! I plan to have a trip report up in a few days.

Your right, sometimes you really don't get exactly what Mr. Weatherman says. And sometimes you just have to take Sen's advice...just go. (Within reason of course cuz it is winter out there.)