Why's no one climbing Long's Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Why's no one climbing Long's Peak?

Post by PolishPete »

Have an interest in Long's Peak since we've failed to get to the top, and will definitly be out February or so and try again.

However, while browsing, I haven't seen folks talking about Long's or posting and recent trip reports. What's going on...conditions really bad up there? People having more fun elsewhere? Etc.?
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Why's no one climbing Long's Peak?

Post by MtHurd »

I think everyone's climbed it already.
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Believe me we've tried!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

I think I'm 3 for 4 this year on Longs. My favorite peak, but now it's cold, the snow isn't good for climbing, and I'm lacking the experience necessary for some of the mixed ice routes.

Pete, let us know when you pick a date. If it's not too cold, maybe I'll join you guys.
doumall
14ers: 58  58  22 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (83)

Post by doumall »

Not everyone who climbs posts on the internet.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

So along this line I have a friend who wants to go out and do Longs in February. As my name implys, I am fairly lazy and have no desire to take several days off work, spend $$ on a ticket and then watch the hill through a storm, I can do that here at home. If someone wanted to do Hood that time of year I would say your chances of good weather during that time is fairly slim,and I would not make the effort to try till later in the season, so what are conditions "usually" like during the middle of February on Longs?

When he asked me about going I paid very little attention to that part of the conversation so have no idea what route he is thinking, all I caught was there was some hard water ice climbing associated with the route or on the way up the hill. As I said I was not paying attention.
Carl
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

doumall wrote:Not everyone who climbs posts on the internet.
Why would they climb if they aren't going to tell the internets about it?
Last edited by Carl on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

lazy climber wrote:If someone wanted to do Hood that time of year I would say your chances of good weather during that time is fairly slim,and I would not make the effort to try till later in the season, so what are conditions "usually" like during the middle of February on Longs?
I can relate. Having only climbed the easy route on Hood in good conditions, a winter ascent is appealing. That said, I would only want to proceed if the forecast was relatively good. Not being able to predict that, I probably won't be heading to Oregon in the winter anytime soon.

I've only climbed Longs in calendar winter once. Living in the front range it was easy to just wait until a weekend with good weather and find some folks from 14ers.com to join me on the trough route. At the most a 35 degree snow climb with a little snow covered class 3. Many, many, harder routes exist of course. We've got one a little more challenging in mind for this winter, once we get a decent weather window of course!
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Hey Pete, are you guys gonna try the trough again? I met a couple of guys in your party last winter on that route.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

It is interesting how we view the mountains in our "back yards", I only need a 6-7 hour weather window to get from my house ,up Hood and back to the parking lot. It is the same for you guys close to the hills, but for one of us to travel to the others "neck of the woods" becomes a costly issue at times and you want to make sure you do not spend the whole time looking at the inside of a tent or snow cave.

Since you can get a fairly cheap flight from PDX to Denver on SWA I will just wait till the last minute to decide about doing Longs in February. About 2 weeks before the date I will start asking about conditions and weather.
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

haha. yup.
I don't care that you Tele.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

And not everyone that posts (on 14ers.com) climbs.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"