Ellingwood Point

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Ellingwood Point

Post by stlouishiker »

Last summer, I when to the Sand Dunes. On the way there, we hiked to Zapata Falls, and tried to hike to South Zapata Lake. We turned around before the lake, but the signboard at the trailhead said the 14,000 ft. Ellingwood Point towers above the lake. When I read that, that made me wonder if this could be an alternative to going up the Lake Como Road. So, does anyone know if Ellingwood can be climbed from South Zapata Lake? If so what's the class?
Thanks
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Ellingwood Point

Post by Floyd »

Can it be? I'm sure of it. Should it be... depends on your perspective. The west slopes of 13,577 look pretty loose and miserable. From there you'd have a 5.3 ridge to Ellingwood's summit. http://www.summitpost.org/route/157596/ ... trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not sure of what the ridge looks like from Twin Peaks.

The road may be miserable, but the SW ridge route is one of my favorites. I would say top 3 easy.
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Ellingwood Point

Post by stlouishiker »

Thanks for the info.