Easiest 14er to Climb/Ski

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pheelwell
Trip Reports (0)

Easiest 14er to Climb/Ski

Post by pheelwell »

What is the easiest 14er to climb and snowboard down? I want to get into Snowbaording down the peaks, I am a good snowboarder, just want to know what the easiest mountain to start on would be to get a feeling for it.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Easiest 14er to Climb/Ski

Post by Cruiser »

Sherman or Quandary
Where ever you are... There you are.
pheelwell
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pheelwell »

Alright sweet thanks
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Quandary, although it's quite icy and windblown between 13,000 and 14,000 ft. Towards the bottom it's not too steep in places so you might come to a grinding halt. Elbert might be a good one.

Be careful for avalanches on the non-standard routes.
bckcntryskr
14ers: 17  11 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by bckcntryskr »

Reccomended course of action:
Avalanche awarness presentation, purchase avalanche gear, followed by an Avalanche 1 course, gather "buddies", make a plan.......Then off to Qundry, file TR on this site.......sure there are other steps involved, just want you thinking safely
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ascent+descent=fun »

bckcntryskr wrote:Reccomended course of action:
Avalanche awarness presentation, purchase avalanche gear, followed by an Avalanche 1 course, gather "buddies", make a plan.......Then off to Qundry, file TR on this site.......sure there are other steps involved, just want you thinking safely
Weird, I didnt think he asked what the proper steps were before he could ski a 14er.
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

True, but there is a personal integrity piece to providing irresponsible advice. I could tell you a good self defense pistol if you asked but my first question would be about your experience and confidence with a handgun. Since the original poster did not indicate any avalanche awareness, I think it is perfectly understandable to qualify a recommendation.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by realhillboarding »

its also probably important to clarify WHERE you snowboard quandary...the east slopes are relatively safe and easy (there is still avy danger, so be smart), but other options on that mountain are significantly more difficult and dangerous.
dude4mountains
14ers: 58 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude4mountains »

Quandary...easiest 14er right? Except for when it isn't. Last weekend during hurricane winds for example it was not so easy. And an easy ski/board descent right? ...Except when it isn't. There was a huge avalanche path on the east face and very unstable low angle slopes just above treeline. "Whoomping" wind slabs are a wake up call...even on a 15 degree slope!

Be safe,
Dude
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

dude4mountains wrote:Quandary...easiest 14er right? Except for when it isn't. Last weekend during hurricane winds for example it was not so easy. And an easy ski/board descent right? ...Except when it isn't. There was a huge avalanche path on the east face and very unstable low angle slopes just above treeline. "Whoomping" wind slabs are a wake up call...even on a 15 degree slope!

Be safe,
Dude
Easiest, not necessarily easy.

Thanks for the avy conditions report though. Whoomping = scary stuff.
dude4mountains
14ers: 58 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude4mountains »

Wesley wrote:
dude4mountains wrote:Quandary...easiest 14er right? Except for when it isn't. Last weekend during hurricane winds for example it was not so easy. And an easy ski/board descent right? ...Except when it isn't. There was a huge avalanche path on the east face and very unstable low angle slopes just above treeline. "Whoomping" wind slabs are a wake up call...even on a 15 degree slope!

Be safe,
Dude
Easiest, not necessarily easy.

Thanks for the avy conditions report though. Whoomping = scary stuff.
Easiest is so temptingly equivalent to "easy" ...for the uninitiated...

Dude
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

bckcntryskr wrote:Reccomended course of action:

Weird, I didnt think he asked what the proper steps were before he could ski a 14er.
I agree with bckcntryskr. If someone doesnt know what an "easy 14er" is, they probably dont know the other stuff.