Holy Cross vs. Kit Carson single Day

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
caad4rep
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

Holy Cross vs. Kit Carson single Day

Post by caad4rep »

I am just wondering which would be easier as a single day climb, Kit Carson or Holy Cross. I'm looking to do one of the two as a solo single day this summer and I'm not too keen on backpacking solo so I'll probably do the early start thing and summit in a day. Any thoughts?
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Holy Cross vs. Kit Carson single Day

Post by weschun »

I have not done Kit Carson, but have done Holy Cross via the standard route. It is a pretty long day, but nothing too terrible. From the route description, it is probably easier than Kit Carson. I list Holy Cross as my favorite climb.
Last edited by weschun on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

I'd agree with that. I've never done the standard route on KC, but I have done Holy Cross in a single day. I didn't have much trouble with Holy Cross in a single day, and say it'd be an easier one-day climb than Kit Carson. I did Kit Carson via South Colony Lakes - which you could previously do in a single day... a bit tougher now with the road closed lower. From the normal route though, KC is 14 miles long, and involves more difficult terrain than MHC (which is 11.5 miles round trip).
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
caad4rep
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by caad4rep »

Thanks for the info guys, I guess Holy Cross it is. I'll have to save KC for a weekend trip.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

caad4rep wrote:I am just wondering which would be easier as a single day climb, Kit Carson or Holy Cross. I'm looking to do one of the two as a solo single day this summer and I'm not too keen on backpacking solo so I'll probably do the early start thing and summit in a day. Any thoughts?
I did both over this past summer -- Holy Cross via the standard route in a single day, Challenger and Kit Carson as an overnight. The latter, though not impossible, is definitely a lot more challenging due to the fact that the standard route to Kit Carson takes you over Challenger and that you have a Class 3 scramble up to the summit of Kit Carson (and then re-summit Challenger on the way back as well). The most challenging part of doing Holy Cross in a single day is the 900+ feet that you have to re-gain from East Cross Creek on the way back to the trailhead.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

tmathews wrote:
caad4rep wrote:I am just wondering which would be easier as a single day climb, Kit Carson or Holy Cross. I'm looking to do one of the two as a solo single day this summer and I'm not too keen on backpacking solo so I'll probably do the early start thing and summit in a day. Any thoughts?
I did both over this past summer -- Holy Cross via the standard route in a single day, Challenger and Kit Carson as an overnight. The latter, though not impossible, is definitely a lot more challenging due to the fact that the standard route to Kit Carson takes you over Challenger and that you have a Class 3 scramble up to the summit of Kit Carson. The most challenging part of doing Holy Cross in a single day is the 900+ feet that you have to re-gain from East Cross Creek on the way back to the trailhead.
Same story for me. The terrain makes a big difference. The vast majority of Holy Cross is a walk-up (then walk-down, then walk-up, then walk-down). For me, the toughest part of KC/Challenger was actually descending from Challenger to Willow Lake. Relatively steep, loose dirt and scree and crap. Tough on the knees and the quads from working to maintain my balance. That part took me forever. And you do of course have the Class 3 portion on Kit Carson. It almost seemed more like difficult Class 2 to me, but it definitely requires more concentration and time than the talus you have to hop below the summit of Holy Cross.
tauma
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tauma »

No comparison.

KC will take you 50% longer than Holy Cross if you come from Willow Creek and the Standard route respectively.

Or put another way KC RTD 14.0m, EG 6250ft, 9:49 hours. HC RTD 11.5m, EG 5600ft, 6:50 hours.

I say 50% becasue I ran off KC back to the lake given incoming thunderstorms.

Then there is the snow on the avenue if you go late spring / early summer.

The only thing you have to worry about on HC are the 4 zillion cairns leading nowhere on the descent. Stick to the ridge.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I agree with tauma & tmathews.
Holy Cross will be easier. I've done Holy Cross twice in a single day (once on no sleep) and Kit Carson once in a single day (although Challenger 4x in a single day as well..f-in weather!).
With KC and Willow Creek, you'll spend more time above treeline at altitude then you will on HC. You'll also run into more sustained class-3 climbing and more exposure then you will on HC. The standard route on KC heading up towards Challenger is cairned fairly well (I put up a lot of them :-$ ). And as tauma said, HC cairns will lead you nowhere fast if you fall into the trap of following them. It's probably the only 'hazard' to keep in mind...standard route that is.
Although, I think KC far exceeds HC in terms of views and beauty and the HC wilderness is far more rugged...just my .02¢
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reinselc »

Smoove, I did this a couple years back and completely agree that descending Challenger to the lake was the worst part of my day. I thought I was just a wuss or exhausted from re-summitting Challenger on the way back, but man that descent did a number on my knees. Just really loose slope, that isn't a big deal going up, because the loose stuff is more dirt than big rocks, but a real pain on the descent.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Done Holy Cross via Holy Cross Ridge in a day and have done Kit in a day and as an overnighter via Willow Lake. If you do Holy Cross Ridge, it's probably comparable. Although the descent down Challenger is not that fun, neither is the rock hoping down the standard route on Holy Cross. In my opinion, Holy Cross Ridge is a must do if you are in good shape. If you go up and down Holy Cross Ridge, it will be more rigorous than Kit Carson. I did Holy Cross Ridge up and the standard route down. In that case Kit and Holy Cross will be similar.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

reinselc wrote:...descending Challenger to the lake was the worst part of my day...Just a really loose slope, that isn't a big deal going up, because the loose stuff is more dirt than big rocks, but a real pain on the descent.
As an aside for those doing some summer planning, I must recommend descending Challenger Point via the 'Northwest Slopes' of the mountain. This option traverses the ridge for awhile longer before dropping down. I've embellished Bill's beautiful overview map of the area with a (very) approximate line in yellow, to further illustrate what I'm suggesting...

There's not much of trail over there that I remember noticing, so you kinda have to find your own way, but for the most part I found it to be much more enjoyable and mellow than what I have heard about descending the standard "North Slope" route.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund