Crags - snow conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
deeplomassy
Trip Reports (0)

Crags - snow conditions?

Post by deeplomassy »

I'm interested in heading up the Crags side of Pikes Peak this weekend. Anybody been up there recently? Enough snow on the trail for snowshoes? What is the road like? Thanks.
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Crags - snow conditions?

Post by KansanClimber »

the road to the TH is passable if you have 4 wheel drive, from what a local told me. I'm heading up tomorrow weather permitting. I'll let you know what it's like.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

Just got back. Made the summit, but had a rough time. you don't need snowshoes. We never needed to use them, just be sure to have sticks or an axe because the trail is snowpack or icepack in most areas. The trail is really hard to find past the tree line, so we just busted our own. Weather was perfect!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
comin2getcha
14ers: 58  7  6 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by comin2getcha »

KansanClimber -- Thanks for the info. Just confirming the road to the TH is open all the way.

Happy New Year and be safe,

Lance
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong
ryguy79
14ers: 9 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ryguy79 »

It was snowing pretty good when I was skiing around up there earlier today. The road was fine if you stayed in the tracks. I saw two trucks have to get pushed/towed out of the deep stuff both off the side of the road and in the parking area.

KSherpa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSherpa »

Went to Devil's Playground via the Crags today-3 Jan 10

Although the road was snow packed all the way to the fee area parking lot, I strongly recommend a 4x4 to make it there. 4x4 or not, you'll have to choose wisely on how far up you decide to park and where you park. Bring a shovel to dig out just in case. I was driving my 4x4 down the road after my hike and veered too far right ending up in some soft snow that required some shoveling to get free.

The hike went very well. Few folks skiing and a few folks snow shoeing. Made the trip up and down with Yaktracks with minimal post-holing. Trail is well worn all the way up to the road at Devil's playground....at least the snow trail. I believe the original trail is somewhere nearby but covered by snow this time of year.
jjyach
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jjyach »

We made it the whole way up with my friends Suzuki Sx4, and it was slick, but easy for her. We did see and stop for a Jeep Liberty that spun and got stuck(It wasn't you, was it KSherpa?), but that was it.

The trail was well worn and snowshoes weren't really needed until we wandered through some powder before the Crags for the rest of the day. Was a perfect day though!
-Jared
KSherpa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSherpa »

Nah, the poor guy in the Jeep Liberty wasn't me. I saw that car spun out when I drove up early Sunday morning. They did get free though, I spoke to the folks who helped them out while I was busy digging my truck out.