Barr Trail Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pklotzbach
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (8)

Barr Trail Conditions

Post by pklotzbach »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to head down to Manitou Springs and hike on the Barr Trail tomorrow. What are conditions like? I was shooting to make it up to about the A-Frame. Will Yak-Traxs be sufficient, or do I need snowshoes too? Thanks!

Phil
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Barr Trail Conditions

Post by John Prater »

I was up there on 12/27. No snowshoes required. Definitely recommend traction (eg, YakTrax, Microspikes, etc). My notes on the conditions to tree line that day:
Packed snow/ice up to where the Incline cutoff meets the Barr Trail. Then packed snow to Barr Camp. Above Barr Camp, still had a set of footsteps to follow until I was probably within a mile of the A Frame. Broke trail above there, but I was only sinking in about 4-6 inches most of the time. Nearing the A Frame, finding the trail became more difficult. Just past tree line, I completely lost the trail
pklotzbach
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pklotzbach »

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

I summited Pikes Peak yesterday (30 Dec 2009) via Barr Trail. You definitely do not need snowshoes. As John stated, yak-trax or microspikes would be sufficient. I shot some short video clips using my powershot camera, which I'm including here. You will be able to see exactly what the trail looks like. You'll have to excuse my cheesy narrating, and summit euphoria, but I was shooting the video clips for family members! In one of the video clips, I state that it's "starting to snow," and that the forecast calls "for snow later." There was, however, no significant accumulation of snow and the trail will be smooth sailing. In addition, the AdAmAn Club summited today, so the trail should be nicely "trampled down!" Have fun, and Happy New Year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcCXSuG9H-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGs3ZddE_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPB5q2p9N4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljFyD2WlbFs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXOm050Lhtc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pklotzbach
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pklotzbach »

Thanks so much for the info. Great video! Congrats on making the summit yesterday!
Linda Jagger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Linda Jagger »

Kman videos are really great, told us what to bring for NY trip.
Linda Jagger
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Post by barbiesue53 »

Thanks Kman for the great videos. Trying to talk my daughter into a 2-5-10 Birthday hike for her. Will be our 1st winter 14er.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

barbiesue53 wrote:Thanks Kman for the great videos. Trying to talk my daughter into a 2-5-10 Birthday hike for her. Will be our 1st winter 14er.

Hey! Thanks for enjoying my (cheesy!) video clips! Sounds like you have about a month to coax your daughter into that birthday hike! Climbing a 14er in Winter can be an awesome experience (usually!). Pikes Peak, IMO, is a good one for a first Winter ascent. I'm not sure how familiar you are with that mountain, but you don't have to tackle the entire 26 miles in one day. You can stay at Barr Camp http://www.barrcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and break the climb up into two days (or more), as an option. You can also consider the "back side" of the mountain, and hike/climb the Crags Trail http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... Pikes+Peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Just be aware that from now, until the foreseeable future, the trail can be very icy. I'm not saying you will need crampons, but definitely some sort of traction device (i.e. Yak-Trax, or Kahtoola Microspikes). On the 29th of Dec '09 (the day before I summited), there was a helicopter rescue on Barr Trail. A guy slipped, and fell because of the ice around the 12,200 ft. level. I guess he was hurt pretty bad. Not sure why it didn't make the local media as a news story, but it was a big event for the caretakers at Barr Camp who went to assist.

Keep us posted on on whether the trip takes place or not!
KSherpa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSherpa »

kman wrote:I summited Pikes Peak yesterday (30 Dec 2009) via Barr Trail.
Sounds pretty irresponsible to do it alone. I recommend in the future you take someone else with you...like your brother.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

KSherpa wrote:
Sounds pretty irresponsible to do it alone. I recommend in the future you take someone else with you...like your brother.

Hey Newbie! Next time you can get a "kitchen pass," you're welcome to come along!
KSherpa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSherpa »

kman wrote:
KSherpa wrote:

Hey Newbie! Next time you can get a "kitchen pass," you're welcome to come along!

Middle of the week hike calls for a "Timesheet Pass". I'll make it happen next time. Cool vids...
epcsar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by epcsar »

. On the 29th of Dec '09 (the day before I summited), there was a helicopter rescue on Barr Trail. A guy slipped, and fell because of the ice around the 12,200 ft. level. I guess he was hurt pretty bad. Not sure why it didn't make the local media as a news story, but it was a big event for the caretakers at Barr Camp who went to assist.

The gentleman who was injured was just above 2 Mile when the layer of snow he was walking on moved and he slid downhill about 50' (he had appropriate equipment for the hike). Due to his injuries, the onset of hypothermia, and the difficulty of a nightime winter evac, he we flown out by Flight for Life. We were able to get the helo in before dark and with the help of Neal and Teresa at Barr Camp he was safely transported to the hospital and has since been released.

Yes, January is when the trail above A-Frame gradually disappears and travel to the summit typically requires crampons, ice axe, snowshoes and the necessary skills to use them. Conditions improve around April.

Thanks,
Larry
El Paso County Search and Rescue