Winter Hike/GPS/Batteries

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Hike/GPS/Batteries

Post by Magnum420 »

I dissagree with saying all old GPSs are worthless, but I was never really happy with my regular vista. I have had very few complaints about my VistaHCx. The regular vista would lose reception driving down the road, I even lost reception on top of Sherman on a bluebird day, it just wouldnt lock on. It would also lose reception when it was raining, snowing, in trees, and in canyons. I consider a GPS some what worthless when you are not sure you will get reception when you need it. With the HCx, I am confident I'll have reception in almost all situations.

I also dissagee with who ever is saying "technology takes the skill out of everything". I certenly dont care if you like to "rough it", and you shouldnt care that I carry a GPS. The sports of hiking, climbing, moutaineering, etc, have come a long way because of technology, and I am sure you benifit from some of it while not "taking the skill out of everything." That being said, I dont really agree with things like brining TVs camping and such, but if it is not directly impacting me, then why should I(or you) care?

GPS info. You can get a lot of good info and maps from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ They will have maps for Garmin GPSs. Most are free.

ALWAYS CARRY SPARE BATTARIES, A MAP AND COMPASS, AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM!!
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

weschun wrote:+1 to what job19 said. I also use Topo. I print out a map with the waypoints that are downloaded into the GPS, and I'm good to go. The Mapsource that comes with Garmin is not very good. Definitely going to check out the "Above the Timber" maps.
I'm also using Topo with my GPS units... I love the program personally. It really allows you to get the most out of a map AND a GPS. My compass is used as a backup, and for the fact that it has a built in clinometer for avy terrain.

I normally layout a map before a trip, adding waypoints where I want them, and customizing the map area for my trip. I then upload these waypoints to the GPS, and print the map with a 500m UTM grid. Works great for off-trail navigation in particular!
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by moon stalker »

I've had two different GPS units over the past 6 years. I've used the SAME set of 4 rechargeable batteries for my GPSs for those six years! I average 35 to 45 outings a year, including winter. Just yesterday I summitted Quandary, temps were between 5 and 10 degrees on the way up, mild wind. I don't keep the GPS in my pocket, it hangs on my shoulder strap in a pouch, it works fine. The winter does suck up the power more often, but I've never had to change batteries twice in the same day. I always carry a spare set, I let them run down enough to turn the unit off and then change. Usually I only change them every other weekend/outing. The brand of batteries is Monster (like the cables, they do a lot of high end stereo stuff). My experience with other rechargable batteries is not as good though. I try to avoid using non-rechargeables whenever possible, those Monsters are the trick.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

dcon wrote:Hello All,
A few questions. I (like everyone else) am looking for a good winter climb. I'm thinking maybe Pikes or Elbert, any comments? Also, I just got a Garmin Etrex Vista, anyone have any good suggestions on where to get maps to put on it? Or, does anyone have any good suggestions to make it more helpful. I have done 21 14ers without a GPS but I guess if I have it I should use it. Also, do rechargeable batteries last as long in the cold as lithium batteries? Thanks Everyone
dcon,

What are looking for when you say "a good winter climb?" That can mean something different to many different people.

And yeah...if you've got a GPS, why not take it along. If you ever get off course or lost, it's REALLY nice to have. I got off trail in the thick forest below Shavano once, and a friends' GPS got us back to the trail. From then on I was sold!

While I haven't tested it, rechargeable batteries don't last as long as lithiums...but one-time use lithiums can get really expensive. So, personally I use rechargeable NiCads. On 14ers, I head up with a fully charged set. Then when I summit, I just change the batteries out to a fresh set. That way I never loose part of a "track" due to the batteries dying on me. Plus, in winter, I keep the unit in my front pants pocket with the battery side against my leg. This has worked well.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

FWIW, the latest issue of "Consumer Reports" has a profile/test of AA batteries, ranking lithiums, nickel oxy-hydroxide, alkaline and rechargable batteries. Might be worth a review if you're on the market for a new set.

As expected, lithiums came out on top for performance, but I understand the interest in rechargeables. Personally I use lithiums for my headlamp because I want the best "firepower" for that essential tool, but if I'm reasonably efficient on my winter climbs I can easily go an entire season (or more) on one set of batteries.

Just fyi,
-Tom