mountain suggestions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
piper13
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

mountain suggestions?

Post by piper13 »

My name is Hannah i'm 14 and I like to climb 14ers with my uncles and dad. We're going out to Colorado this summer but don't know which one to do. I've climbed Pikes Peak twice, Mt. Bierstadt twice, and Quandary once. Any suggestions for our next mountain?
dennywitte
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: mountain suggestions?

Post by dennywitte »

Elbert, Sherman, Grays/Torreys are easy to get to and among the easier 14ers.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

piper13 wrote:My name is Hannah i'm 14 and I like to climb 14ers with my uncles and dad. We're going out to Colorado this summer but don't know which one to do. I've climbed Pikes Peak twice, Mt. Bierstadt twice, and Quandary once. Any suggestions for our next mountain?
Grays and Torreys would be something on a similar scale in difficulty, or the Mts. Democrat or Lincoln. If you're looking to progress a bit in overall effort (but not a whole lot in technical difficulty) you might try something over in the Sawatch range - Yale, Shavano, Antero. The elevation gain on Sawatch peaks is generally a bit more than the ones you've done so far, but they're still mostly just one foot in front of the other...
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Depending on how much time you have and your comfort level with trying something a little harder I would suggest backpacking in and trying Crestone Peak or Needle or both. They are not near as scary as people make them out to be. If you want to keep things under class 3 then Handies, Redcloud and Sunshine would be good. Uncompahgre and/or Wetterhorn would be fun too.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

JB99 wrote:Depending on how much time you have and your comfort level with trying something a little harder I would suggest backpacking in and trying Crestone Peak or Needle or both. They are not near as scary as people make them out to be.
I feel compelled to respectfully point out that it's a pretty big leap in commitment factor to go from five class 1 hikes to backpacking in to climb the Crestones. The Crestones might be a good goal for her to have eventually, but I don't think they'd be an ideal next climb. That said, it is a pretty cool area and there's always Humboldt in the same area.

If she's interested in climbing class 3 there are numerous such climbs that have a much lower commitment factor than the Crestones.
MtHurd
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Lincoln, Bross, Cameron, Democrat. You can do all 4 of those in one day. I suggest this order:

Democrat
Cameron
Lincoln
Bross

The good thing about this is, if you too tired after Democrat, you can always go back and do the other ones on another day. If you can only do one, do Democrat, Bross is not fun, too much scree.

If you can drive further, I would do Massive, Elbert, or LaPlata.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Doug Shaw wrote:I feel compelled to respectfully point out that it's a pretty big leap in commitment factor to go from five class 1 hikes to backpacking in to climb the Crestones. The Crestones might be a good goal for her to have eventually, but I don't think they'd be an ideal next climb. That said, it is a pretty cool area and there's always Humboldt in the same area.

If she's interested in climbing class 3 there are numerous such climbs that have a much lower commitment factor than the Crestones.
I figured this suggestion would raise some controversy. I stand by it though, neither of the Crestones had anything too difficult on them as far as the technical side of things and neither had any dangerous exposure on their normal routes. Both were immensely fun and in an amazing and unique setting, unlike a class 2 Sawatch climb. People really give them a much harder rep than they deserve and up until now Needle was a very short day trip from the 4x4 trail head. She is 14, not some little kid and she also said she hikes with her Dad and Uncle's who will put her/their safety ahead of any summit. Also like you said Humboldt is a good option if anything on Peak or Needle prove too difficult. I also gave some class 1-2 suggestions though, I just see the exact same things suggested every time a question like this comes up so I figured I'd put out something different out there. The difference between a class 1 hike and a class 2 hike that's more strenuous than the class 1 she has done is pretty minimal. Class 2 does little to prep someone for class 3, they are just too different in my opinion. A lot of people (myself included, no it wasn't Longs) start on class 3 with their very first mountain and do so safely, so after 5 class 1 mountains it is reasonable for someone to make the jump to a class 3 climb like Crestone Peak or Needle. Of course these are only my couple cents on the matter and Doug's opinion is just as valid, I don't mean to say otherwise. Just trying to explain mine a little.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Another factor to consider is the endurance needed to do most of the mountains in the Sawatch or trying to climb the Crestones. Since you don't live in Colorado (somewhere presumably closer to sea level), make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew in trying to tackle a mountain that demands 4,000 - 5,000+ in vertical.

The Crestones are tough because you have to go up and over Broken Hand Pass and then lose a bunch of elevation before tackling either peak (much more so for the Peak than the Needle). The Sawatch range is typified by a lot of prominence from the base. You can cheat with mountains like Princeton and drive half-way up, but not true for many others. Mt. Massive and Elbert are both over 4000 ft of elevation gain with no way to shorten the route.

So, my only advice in addition to looking at the technical difficulty of the route is to also look at how strenuous the route is. Most people are pretty well gassed after about 4,000 feet of climbing. Even worse if you're not properly acclimated.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

Before suggesting a mountain I'd want to know a few more pieces of info. Are the San Juans, particularly the few around Lake City, within an accepted distance? Are you looking to expand on your climbing skill/does exposure bother you? (I'd suggest a Class 3 based on you answers) or your endurance?(Def Sawatch Range) or are you you just hoping for a pleasant hike in line with what you have done? (Huron and Handies in addition to all the Class 1-2's already suggested). Are you planning on a day trip or is camping an option - I'd go back to the ones around Lake City if you're ok with a multi-day adventure as they offer a bit of everything.
When you come to a fork in the road take it
piper13
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by piper13 »

we stay in Colorado Springs but might go out to Breckinridge again this summer
MtHurd
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Then I would suggest Yale. Not too far, a little scrambling near the top, and one of the best views in Colorado.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Barry Raven wrote:Then I would suggest Yale. Not too far, a little scrambling near the top, and one of the best views in Colorado.
+1... Yale should be a little bit tougher than anything that you have done; with just some very mild exposure/pseudo-scrambling near the top. I think that would be a great choice.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.