Question for flatlanders...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pudgy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Question for flatlanders...

Post by pudgy »

there is no "one plan" for all.....everyone's physiology is set up diffrently...i think we flatlanders who are into peak bagging tend to take more chances than the people who live at altitude..and that's not a good thing..but it is what it is..i stay in shape year round..pick up the pace when the weather breaks here in the kc metro (900')...and prepare for a mid-july assault...since 2006 i've driven overnight...parked the car at the trailhead and hit a 14er...(2006 bierstadt 1st ever!!)...2007 grays/torrey's....2008 quandary...2009 sherman)..all short round trips...no headaches..no nausea..just a lot of huffing and puffing..slow pace..plenty of liquid...and of course a pbj at the summit...i usually take the next day off...then get back after it...i don't recommend this but it works for me..i'll be 63 in june...and back on the mountain in july...be careful out there..
Techy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Techy »

Generally takes up to 48 hours for your BPG levels to adjust. (allows your blood to hold onto oxygen longer, so it gets everywhere it needs to)
Magwitch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magwitch »

Actually, BPG decreases hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen. However, because the oxygen dissociation curve is S-shaped it makes it easier to dump oxygen in the tissues which is a greater effect than the loss of uptake capability in the lungs.
ARY
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ARY »

What is your opinion or even better-experience (if done it) on using hypoxic training? Particularly cardio workout with hypoxic nitrox breathing?
ARY (Photo, video);
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

I'm under 1k ft and I'm not a big believer in acclimatization. Have you had trouble with the altitude in Colo? Some have trouble, some don't. Seems kinda random and not necessarily tied to conditioning. Talked to one woman in Colo even though she lived in Colo couldn't go above 10k feet or something naturally.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I didn't read every response to the thread, but my experience (20 years of driving from MO to CO every summer to climb) was that the best timeline is:

day 1: arrive and get some very mild exercise.
day 2: get something a little more serious in (60 minutes or so)
day 3: climb.

This is assuming that you don't have unlimited time. Obviously 2 weeks at altitude before climbing would be ideal, but I have never had that luxury.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

Did Handies a day after arrival from Wisconsin. Diamox was the reason I could. Still gasped a lot, though, but no sickness or headaches.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
rkylet83
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rkylet83 »

I live around 800’ year round in Michigan. I take an annual 10 day trip to hike 14ers. My running regiment for 5K-1/2 marathon races (mileage between 40-60MPW) seems to prepare me really well. The day I fly in, I go for a 40-60 minute slow jog to acclimate. The next day I’ll do an easy 14er to make sure I’m good, and then I don’t seem to have any issues with doing a 14er/day until I leave.