Grays and Torreys Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Grays and Torreys Conditions

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

RatherbeintheMtns wrote:Ross and Jim,
I plan on hiking Grays and Torreys tomorrow. I will be starting of off I70 (drive an Accord) around 7am. I will have a red OSPREY pack.
Andrew
Hey, thanks man,

I'll be starting a little later, 9 am, moving pretty quick. Of course, depends on where we can park. Don't want to risk shoveling, I like hiking better for my exercise. : )

Those Osprey packs are great! I'll have my rust-colored Osprey, and a black Colorado Rockies visor on, no doubt.

Will possibly catch you. Planning on both peaks.

See you up there.

Jim
rangerdrew
14ers: 12  3  5 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rangerdrew »

Im planning on heading up Kelso Rige on Monday if anyone is interested. I will leave the vehicle at I70 and head up Sunday night probably around 7pm. I will leave about 7am from the summer TH on Monday. Is it worth it to haul skis for a descent from the hut on the ridge? Is there continuously skiable snow down to 70?

Thanks!!
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew
TylerStorm
14ers: 22 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by TylerStorm »

I am definitely interested in Kelso Ridge! I have Monday off and have been dying to check out that ridge! Pm me or (701)426-1156. Also, in my experience, skis work best on snow and, unfortunately, the beloved, white powder is lacking significantly up there! Well, take it easy!

-Tyler-
Wisdom is the quality of being able to avoid situations where you need it. not sure

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. Henry David Thoreau
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Conditions are really perfect up there right now. We had a great day.

On our way out, two parties of two each were on their way in for overnighters.

Enjoy!

Jim
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

sc00badoug wrote:I was thinking of climbing this on sat or sunday. Look forward to the trip report.
Shall we set up a group?

We ended up having the Saturday Afternoon Torrey's Peak Fourteeners Social Club Luncheon. Very festive.

When the sun came out mid-day, the winds died completely.

Yes, I'll be doing a TR in the next couple of days.

Take care,

Jim
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

My partner and I are one of the groups headed up Saturday afternoon. We did an evening hike on Kelso in the dark and camped on the summit of Torreys with a Greys summit on Sunday Morning. I am working on a TR now. Crampons and axe are definitely necessary for Kelso ridge. There was an Avy in Dead dog yesterday morning as well, probably due do the wind and small snowstorm, that slope was ready to go. Be careful out there.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

mountainmicah83 wrote:My partner and I are one of the groups headed up Saturday afternoon. We did an evening hike on Kelso in the dark and camped on the summit of Torreys with a Greys summit on Sunday Morning. I am working on a TR now. Crampons and axe are definitely necessary for Kelso ridge. There was an Avy in Dead dog yesterday morning as well, probably due do the wind and small snowstorm, that slope was ready to go. Be careful out there.
I spoke with a gentleman from a party of two on our way out. I was wearing a red shell. He was carrying a rope. Was that you? If so, it was my pleasure to meet you.

Was this the slide:
G&T 1-16-10.jpg
G&T 1-16-10.jpg (203.47 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Yup. The guy with the rope was my partner. I was the other guy.

That may have been the slide I was talking about. It's hard to say.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com