14er circut

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jungle climber
Trip Reports (0)

14er circut

Post by jungle climber »

Hey guys,

I am new to 14ers.com. Have always looked at it, and finally decided to get an account. I live in Singapore and return home to Colorado in the summer to climb and backpack. I miss it so much!

Wanted to ask: this summer, some friends and I were thinking of going on a 5-6 day backpacking trip that included several 14ers. Does such a route exist that is not technically difficult or long mileage wise? I am guessing the Collegiate Peaks? But I want to know everything.

thanks much
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 14er circut

Post by wildlobo71 »

For pure beauty I'd head for the San Juans; You could set up base camp up Nellie Creek and hit Uncompaghre and Wetterhorn (Matterhorn, too, if you're not just in it for 14ers), then pack out and head down to Handies Peak and Whitecross Mountain (mid-13er) from either American Basin or Grizzly Gulch, then head across the basin and get Redcloud and Sunshine in an afternoon. That's 5 14ers, and 2 extra 13ers, too.

If you have time and energy, and a bit of patience because the drive is long, finish up at San Luis Peak.

Anyway you do it, or how people recommend it, it'll be fun!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I once shuttled a hitchhiker who said he backpacked
Missouri Oxford Belford Harvard Columbia and Yale.
It looks like from the map that Princeton, Antero, Shavano and
Taveguache arent that far apart either.
I've only done these individually or pairs, so dont
know the exact path he took.
The Colorado Trail and the Leadville 100 trail
snake through part of these.
These are all class 2ish..
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Here is a trip report that may be useful for you; http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

In addition, you can just stay in Missouri Basin if you wanted to from Pine Creek and have Oxford, Belford, Missouri, Iowa, Emerald, Silver King Peak and Harvard from one basin.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Can you do a shuttle or does your trip need to end where it starts?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Weegie5
14ers: 42  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Weegie5 »

CO Native wrote:Can you do a shuttle or does your trip need to end where it starts?
If you're patient enough to read that whole TR, you'll see we impromptu-shuttled. We just met up with some people on the final summit who happened to be heading in the direction our truck was parked. We were prepared to hitchhike to get back to the truck.

traderaaron wrote:In addition, you can just stay in Missouri Basin if you wanted to from Pine Creek and have Oxford, Belford, Missouri, Iowa, Emerald, Silver King Peak and Harvard from one basin.
Staying in Missouri Basin would be a great tweak to the through-hike and you'd still have some awesome peaks to challenge you.
~James
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I was asking the OP if he could shuttle as it would open up some different opportunities for recommendations.
jungle climber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jungle climber »

Shuttling is not really an option as we are pressed for time and considering that I live in Singapore, driving does not work out well, so we will be dropped off at the trailhead of choice
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

jungle climber wrote:Shuttling is not really an option as we are pressed for time and considering that I live in Singapore, driving does not work out well, so we will be dropped off at the trailhead of choice
Missouri Gulch, then... sheer quantity. Huron, Missouri, Oxford, Belford, La Plata, Hope, Quail, Grizzly, the Apostles, Emerald, Iowa. Pick up the Colorado Trail and head north to Elbert, south the Harvard & Columbia. Long days for sure.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Since shuttling is not possible one recommendation would be to start at the Pine Creek trailhead and hike into Missouri Basin (on the south side of Elkhead Pass vs Missouri Gulch which is on the north side). It's a great secluded hike in and gives you easy access to Missouri, Oxford, Belford, and Harvard. Columbia can also be done from there. Few people ever visit Missouri Basin so it should make for a great experience.

Another option that allows you to not backtrack at all is to begin at the Silver creek TH for Yale. Hike Yale via the Silver Creek trail to the East ridge. Then descend the West ridge and head down to Kroenke Lake. Then head up Horn Fork Creek and up Mount Harvard. Drop into Frenchman Creek basin then ascend Columbia's north slope and descend the East ridge and connect with the Three Elk Creek Trail. When you get to the Colorado trail, take it south to return to the Silver Creek trailhead. The challenge of this is that you will be carrying full packs over 3 fourteeners, however spread out over 5 or 6 days this would not be bad. The route is very scenic (especially at Kronke and Bear lakes) and you would never set foot on the same part of trail twice.

A less demanding alternative to the previous route is to hike into Kroenke via Cottonwood Creek trail, set camp there, dayhike Yale, then move basecamp to treeline in Horn Fork creek and hike Harvard and Columbia, and descend back out the Cottonwood Creek trail.
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Here is a rough map of the routes I mentioned.

http://www.friesema.net/junk/SawatchHikes.JPG
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

jungle climber wrote:Shuttling is not really an option as we are pressed for time and considering that I live in Singapore, driving does not work out well, so we will be dropped off at the trailhead of choice
I'm a little puzzled. If you're getting dropped off at a trailhead, I assume that you'll also get picked up at a trailhead. Why would it have to be the same trailhead?
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.