Conditions on Bierstadt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
worse case scenario
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions on Bierstadt?

Post by worse case scenario »

So.. I am new to winter mountaineering and needed some advice. Does anyone know the conditions on bierstadt? avalanche conditions? I'm thinking about summitting on sunday. Any help would be of great assistance. Thank you soooo much!
worse case scenario
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Bierstadt?

Also, I want to hike it from guenella pass, but i don't know how to get there.. does anyone know directions? I know you have to go through Grant/Bailey area. Thanks!!
mtnmojo
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmojo »

m
Last edited by mtnmojo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAW
14ers: 57  12  1 
13ers: 87 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LAW »

Best approach is from 285/Grant. At Grant take the paved then dirt, then paved road ~12 miles to the gate, then hike the road an additional 1 1/2 to the TH over the top of the pass. Unless it snows significantly up there prior to your climb, the road is currently passable with most vehicles (no problem with a Camry).

The trail is well packed, no av danger on Bierstadt...
ktrainor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ktrainor »

Have a look at this trip report.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conditions are perfect right now. The trail is well packed and easy to follow if you have never done this one before. The snow is not to deep and is hard in most places again making it easy to hike.
worse case scenario
Trip Reports (0)

Hiked yesterday and it was a gorgeous day! snow packed, hardly any wind, a little cloud coverage but you could still see for many miles :)
luca_brasi
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by luca_brasi »

I'm a bit confused, so pardon the question. Is there an actual closed gate at MM 12 that prevents you from driving to the true Guanella Pass? How far from the gate to the pass?
Last edited by luca_brasi on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

luca_brasi wrote:I'm a bit confused, so pardon the question. Is there an actual closed gate at MM 12 that prevents you from driving to the true Guanella Pass?
Yes.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
mcflanders
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcflanders »

Yes, the road is blocked. It is around 1.5 mi hike up to the trailhead.