Camping at West Winfield TH?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Camping at West Winfield TH?

Post by My-Therapy »

Does anyone know if capming is allowed in the meadow located at about 10,700 ft. a short ways before the registration box? If not, is there any camping very close to the TH or do I need to plan to camp elsewhere and drive to the TH the morning of the hike? Thanks, J. Hart
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Camping at West Winfield TH?

Post by traderaaron »

By the creek? If so then yes, some of the prime spots.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

No problem at 10,700. There are several dispersed camping sites there; especially on the west sof the road (east side of the creek.You'll need a 4WD.

In a 2WD, there is a campground at 10,260 on the left (east) just after you take the left fork in Winfield and Rd 390 crosses the confluence of S and N clear creek. This is pretty close to the 2WD TH and you can easily climb the mountain frome here in a day-trip.

Of course, all this is predicated on a summer climb. If you go now, you'll have a 10 mile hike to Winfield or 13 to the 10,700' camp to which you referred.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

sgladbach wrote:No problem at 10,700. There are several dispersed camping sites there; especially on the west sof the road (east side of the creek.You'll need a 4WD.

In a 2WD, there is a campground at 10,260 on the left (east) just after you take the left fork in Winfield and Rd 390 crosses the confluence of S and N clear creek. This is pretty close to the 2WD TH and you can easily climb the mountain frome here in a day-trip.

Of course, all this is predicated on a summer climb. If you go now, you'll have a 10 mile hike to Winfield or 13 to the 10,700' camp to which you referred.
Not to hijack this thread, but thought I'd put the word out that I'm looking for a partner or partners to do Huron on a dayclimb, XC ski in on the road -- long crazy day.... pm or post if interested.

No date set at this point but would like to get it done while the west slope is presumably scrubbed off. Should be a decent xc ski in, to the 10,700 level. Hopefully boots from there.

Perhaps SG can comment on Huron's west slopes this time of year.

Jim