Asolo TPS 520 GV Boots

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainsnBluegrass
14ers: 4 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Asolo TPS 520 GV Boots

Post by MountainsnBluegrass »

Hello all! I just bought a pair of Asolo TPS 520 boots from REI. They are a more rugged boot than I am used to, but I am sick of wearing out my Merrels. Anyway, does anyone have a pair of these same boots? If so, how do they perform? Best uses? And, are they cramon compatible? If so, what kind of crampons? Thanks!
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Asolo TPS 520 GV Boots

Post by Johnson »

I have the 535's and I really like them. I guess it depends on your needs and how they fit your feet. The person I bought mine from did not carry any boot with Gortex. His opinion is that Gortex does not make a good material for footwear. I have no opinion yet on that. As far as the quality of this line, I say they are great.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I have a pair of Powermatic 200 GV's which are similar and I love them. I've had them on numerous backpacking trips as well as 14ers and never had any blisters. If they fit your feet you will be very happy with them. I ended up having mine resoled last summer and they are still going strong. High end Asolos can stand up to a lot of abuse. You can only use strap-on crampons with them like the Black Diamonds I put a link to below.

http://www.rei.com/product/798354
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Sorry, forgot to comment on crampons but +1 on what Jon said.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
MountainsnBluegrass
14ers: 4 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainsnBluegrass »

How do the strap on crampons work? Do they slip around your foot at all?
Moboy56
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Moboy56 »

i've had a pair of the 520's for over 3 years. and i can honestly say the footbed and feel have not changed from the time i put them on. i'm a boot guy that wears them all the time. snow, rain, mud, rocks you name it, a GREAT boot. they are a little slick on wet rocks so be careful up high.
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

I have had a pair of 520's for two years. Best fitting boot I've had for my narrow foot. Seems about as stiff of a boot as there is before going to a mountaineering boot. I just got strap on crampons - haven't used them on anything very steep yet but the combo seems pretty good for moderate climbs. From what I've read, without mountaineering boots and full 12 point step-in crampons short sections of 50 degree snow (and less step ice) is the limit for this set up.

My only disappointment with the boot for summer hiking is the gore-tex lining. It does not breath well enough and is too hot for summer. On longer, steeper climbs, steamy boots combined with the extra friction from the steepness = blisters. I never had blister problems with my old boots that were not gore tex. I would not get gore-tex for a summer boot again. The 535 (520 without gore-tex) will be my next boot.