All 50

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: All 50

Post by gdthomas »

WSN wrote:
gdthomas wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are 54; 58 if N. Eolus, N. Maroon, Conundrum and Cameron matter to you.
Actually there are only 50 14ers in CO if using 100-meters-prominence standard. Ellingwood Point is unfortunately excluded even though she qualifies the 300-feet-prominence standard.
The prominence standard used on this site and most widely recognized is 300 feet, thus 54. I would hate for yosoycanti to climb 50 14ers only to find out later he missed 4 of them. :shock:
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

gdthomas wrote:
WSN wrote:
gdthomas wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are 54; 58 if N. Eolus, N. Maroon, Conundrum and Cameron matter to you.
Actually there are only 50 14ers in CO if using 100-meters-prominence standard. Ellingwood Point is unfortunately excluded even though she qualifies the 300-feet-prominence standard.
The prominence standard used on this site and most widely recognized is 300 feet, thus 54. I would hate for yosoycanti to climb 50 14ers only to find out later he missed 4 of them. :shock:
Just so I know for sure, and so my lists all jive correctly - you say 54 official 14ers... based on??? I agree with MountainHiker, I count 53 "official" and 5 "unofficial" for the 58 total that 14ers.com, and others, recognize.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
WSN
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by WSN »

This one tells us there are 51 300-feet-high peaks in Colorado (I don't know if it is trustable or not, but there's some thing contradictory to what people believe here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Co ... ourteeners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

If someone posted it on wikipedia it must be true.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

WSN wrote:This one tells us there are 51 300-feet-high peaks in Colorado (I don't know if it is trustable or not, but there's some thing contradictory to what people believe here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Co ... ourteeners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, this list leaves off both Bross and Challenger Point; current observed prominence for those peaks is at 312' for Bross, 301' for Challenger. Their elevations may have changed in the newer surveys to eliminate them from the ranks of 300'+ prominence. I don't know how people feel about the new elevations; I'm torn - I like accuracy, but all my collectors pins are now incorrect.

It appears the Wiki list is utilizing all the newest elevations, because Castle jumped in elevation rank from 12th to 9th overall.
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

WSN wrote:

That's not true since if you switch to metric there's only one 4400er and 29 4300ers.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
gdthomas
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

[/quote]Just so I know for sure, and so my lists all jive correctly - you say 54 official 14ers... based on??? I agree with MountainHiker, I count 53 "official" and 5 "unofficial" for the 58 total that 14ers.com, and others, recognize.[/quote]

If you agree with MountainHiker, then go with that and don't worry about what anyone else says.
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

gdthomas wrote:
Just so I know for sure, and so my lists all jive correctly - you say 54 official 14ers... based on??? I agree with MountainHiker, I count 53 "official" and 5 "unofficial" for the 58 total that 14ers.com, and others, recognize.[/quote]

If you agree with MountainHiker, then go with that and don't worry about what anyone else says.[/quote]

I just want to know why there's a differing opinion. Is there a reason you attribute 54? I have no problem with it, just as I have no problem if you said you made a mistake and there are only 53.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

wildlobo71 wrote: I just want to know why there's a differing opinion. Is there a reason you attribute 54? I have no problem with it, just as I have no problem if you said you made a mistake and there are only 53.
North Maroon gets added in for historical reasons and the fact that it appears to be a seperate peak (and in front) from below.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

WSN wrote:This one tells us there are 51 300-feet-high peaks in Colorado (I don't know if it is trustable or not, but there's some thing contradictory to what people believe here)

Whoever added the info to wiki has miscalculated some numbers for Bross: The saddle between Bross and Cameron is lower than the number he/she used. Based on USGS info, it would be hard to calculate a prominence of less than 300 feet.

When it comes down to 300' of prominence, Challenger is the one on the fence. Someday, I believe it will be shown to have slightly less than 300' of prominence. That would put the list, based on prominence, at 52. 58 total named.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Gladbach's response to this question is still my favorite - and probably offers the most comprehensive explanation:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12186

Personally, I'm going with the "75 List." I have seven left...
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p239043
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The official list of 14ers (as maintained by the CMC and CFI) includes the 53 ranked 14ers minus Challenger Point, plus N Maroon and El Diente. Before 1968, the concept of ranked peaks didn't exist. The 14er list was peaks that exceeded 14,000' and were visually separate peaks (which is why N Maroon and El Diente have always been included in the official list). Until the early 1990s, Challenger Point was an unnamed sub peak of Kit Carson, and as Bill posted there is a question of 300' of prominence.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"