11er and 12ers warm up climbs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 11er and 12ers warm up climbs

Post by peter303 »

My favorite seasonal warm up is any of the three upward trails from Loveland Pass.
You are above the treeline already and have views similar to a 14er summit.
And its just an hour from downtown Denver, freeway most of the way.
The south trail is usually windswept and often not icy, even in winter.
This is actually one of the lesser used trailheads to Torreys, but longer than
the standard one.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The first four or five miles of the Bison route from Ute Creek TH melts out pretty well, as it has good southern exposure up to about 11K' or more. As Derek says, the road is paved and plowed all winter (and pretty flat, although rife with potholes).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

The LCW seems quite nice, and Bison peak looks like a good climb.

Loveland Pass also may be an option. I understand Grizzly Peak is a good early season option also?

For a possible trip in early April, would I need to bring my snowshoes or can I get by without them. I am assuming there will be snow (packed or otherwise) from the TH all the way up, correct?

I'd like to do a nice snow climb. My crampons are getting dusty.

Another seemingly silly question, for renting a vehicle then, I recall seeing signs along a few roads requiring tire chains in some areas? Should this concern me?
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "chains required" applies to 18 wheelers.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Up here at St. Mary's Glacier, in Clear Creek County, on Fall River Road, there are 2 signs (yellow w/black lettering)posted that read, "Tire chains required in adverse conditions". One is at the bottom and the other at the top right by my parking lot, they are posted for regular traffic. The big signs adjacent to the highway are definitely for the big rigs. Living and working in the mountains has taught me to just have chains in all my vehicles, for all 4 tires, although they all are 4x4's. I figure we have all the gear to hike up that snow/ice covered mountain, we should have the same "gear" for our cars.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Another good warm-up 12er in the Berthoud Pass area is Stanley Mountain.