Is it safe?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JessicaDNF
Trip Reports (0)

Is it safe?

Post by JessicaDNF »

Hello,

I am freshman in college (female, 19) and a guy from my school wants to take me to hike a 14er tomorrow. He's never done one this time of year in Colorado, but I am thinking we should be fine. I don't really have any gear beyond my snowboarding stuff. If we do an easy peak, do you think it's safe? The only 14er I've done is Bierstadt in the summer. My dad and brother think it may not be the safest, but I want to go and just want to make sure that they're just overreacting.

Thanks!

Jess
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Is it safe?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jess,
Avalanche danger is high right now. Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow? Heavy snow on many of the "easier" 14ers. If you've never climbed a 14er in winter, it might be better to pick a day with better weather. If you go, make sure your party is comfortable and skilled enough to navigate in low-visiblity.

What peak were you considering?

Be safe.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BaronVonBergschrund »

JessicaDNF wrote:I am freshman in college (female, 19) and a guy from my school wants to take me to hike a 14er tomorrow.
Jessica, it is definitely NOT safe to go on this trip tomorrow.

I do not think that hiking a 14er tomorrow would be safe, either.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

BaronVonBergschrund wrote:
JessicaDNF wrote:I am freshman in college (female, 19) and a guy from my school wants to take me to hike a 14er tomorrow.
Jessica, it is definitely NOT safe to go on this trip tomorrow.

I do not think that hiking a 14er tomorrow would be safe, either.
Ok, that was funny
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JessicaDNF
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JessicaDNF »

Thanks guys, I have decided not to go. Another day...

Is it really important to have good boots when hiking before Aprilish?

Jess
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

JessicaDNF wrote:Is it really important to have good boots when hiking before Aprilish?

Jess
Only if you value your toes.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

JessicaDNF wrote:Thanks guys, I have decided not to go. Another day...

Is it really important to have good boots when hiking before Aprilish?

Jess
It depends on how cold it is. I've worn Gore-tex trail runners in winter but it was above 10 degrees. Boots will be better if it's below 10 degrees. Waterproof is a must and gaiters are a must.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Good decision on not going. Also lucky you aren't a guy because if a guy came on and posted a question with an answer that obvious they would have been ridiculed for the next 50 posts.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

JessicaDNF wrote:Hello,

I am freshman in college (female, 19) and a guy from my school wants to take me to hike a 14er tomorrow. He's never done one this time of year in Colorado, but I am thinking we should be fine. I don't really have any gear beyond my snowboarding stuff. If we do an easy peak, do you think it's safe? The only 14er I've done is Bierstadt in the summer. My dad and brother think it may not be the safest, but I want to go and just want to make sure that they're just overreacting.

Thanks!

Jess
If you need to make a post on an internet forum to get a decision from a bunch of arm chair climbers about whether something is safe enough then you probably already know the answer to your question...
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chipper
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chipper »

Jess - You made the right decision in not going today. However, in an alternate universe, a Jess made the wrong decision. Below, I am making fun of her, not you.

Top Ten Things heard today by alternate-universe Jess

10 - I think we must be close to the summit!
9 - Doesn't that cool snow formation jutting out from the ridge above look like an ocean wave?
8 - You'd think they could figure out some kind of boot attachment that would keep us from falling all the time.
7 - Don't worry, I think the wind will die down as we climb higher.
6 - Huh?!?! No, I can't see either - - - but I think the trail is just up ahead.
5 - I think we must be close to the summit!
4 - Wow, look how fast our footprints disappear in the wind behind us.
3 - Yeah it's getting kind of dark, but I have a stove and tent in the car.
2 - I think we must be close to the summit!
And the number thing heard today by alternate-universe Jess - - -
1 - You've got hypothermia - we have to maximize skin surface-to-surface contact inside one sleeping bag

Chipper

"For we find no keener truths, nor soul's reflection so sublime,
Than the maxims chosen for quoth, in a blog-post signature line."
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

JB99 wrote:Good decision on not going. Also lucky you aren't a guy because if a guy came on and posted a question with an answer that obvious they would have been ridiculed for the next 50 posts.

HaHa Amen Sir!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

ajkagy wrote:
If you need to make a post on an internet forum to get a decision from a bunch of arm chair climbers about whether something is safe enough then you probably already know the answer to your question...
I don't know where you were, perhaps in an armchair, but yesterday... I was out climbing. I think she came to the perfect place to ask the question; it reads and sounds so obvious when we aren't in her shoes...er boots (or did she have boots, let me scroll up and reread that part.) But doing a 14er in the middle of winter (dry or not, warmer than normal or not,) on what amounts to a date (it would be, even if it weren't insinuated, Jess,) is not smart at all. Thanks for asking the question.

Now, if you really want to hike a 14er in winter/spring conditions, look up the thread for the Spring Gathering around Mount Sherman in mid-April... a very easy (all 14ers make you work some, this one much less than others,) 14er to summit, and there are some 13ers right nearby that probably most people in this crowd will go hang out on. It'll be very safe, men and women and wives and boyfriends and dogs.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus