Creston Peak in August

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Creston Peak in August

Post by bking14ers »

I am looking for a nice 14er to climb this August. One person turned me on to Crestone Peak. So far what I have read, it looks like a pretty good climb. What do all you think? I have only done Longs Peak's Keyhole Rt. But, I am also planning on doing Long's Loft Rt. and, Mount Alice the same week I will be out there. Sounds "fun" huh? Or "to good to be true". How challenging is it? Thanks for any input on this.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Creston Peak in August

Post by MtHurd »

Doable, probably about like the Keyhole route on Longs, except you'll be hiking on a road for part of the way. August can be iffy weather wise in the Crestones, but the same can be said of Longs too.
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reinselc »

Imagine a 3x version of the trough and that is the standard route. I thought the hardest climbing was up to Broken Hand Pass.

There is a longer period you need to concentrate on during the downclimb. It would be a pretty long day from the TH. I did it camping at the lakes.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

start VERY early if you want to remove all fear of people above you causing rockfall. i didn't enjoy the peak very much due to my fear of rockfall, but i think i only saw one or two tumble down. it was august on my climb and it was pretty busy. no more technically challenging than longs, though.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

My experience is much more limited than many on this site but so far, Crestone Peak is both the hardest single peak I've ever climbed, but also my favorite! The last time I checked, it was also Bill Middlebrook's favorite too! Spectactacular summit. Clouds moved in (and then departed) while we were on the summit... giving it an eerie gothic feeling.

But honestly... anything in the Sangre de Christo's, and you can't go wrong!
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Joe Ward wrote:I would recommend climbing the Needle first and then doing the traverse to the Peak.
Joe, just my 2 cents, but I think the Needle to Peak traverse is a bit challenging for someone who's only done Longs Peak
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

53_Peaks wrote:
Joe Ward wrote:I would recommend climbing the Needle first and then doing the traverse to the Peak.
Joe, just my 2 cents, but I think the Needle to Peak traverse is a bit challenging for someone who's only done Longs Peak
I would agree with this. Crestone by itself is similar to Longs Keyhole but the traverse is much more difficult.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

reinselc wrote:Imagine a 3x version of the trough and that is the standard route. I thought the hardest climbing was up to Broken Hand Pass.
For me it was the ~700 feet back up to the pass on the return trip. It's not technical or anything, but the footing is not great. That's something like a 5500-foot day if you're starting at what is now the trailhead. For this reason and others I liked the Needle more than the Peak. The Needle isn't a whole lot harder but doesn't have the extra descent and climb back.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
colosota
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colosota »

Honestly, Crestone is a great route with fairly stable rock. It's more sustained class 3 climbing, but I didn't have much of a "fear factor" in climbing the mountain. DO NOT do any of the traverses unless you're comfortable with serious exposure and class 4 climbing. SW ridge on Sneffels and Wetterhorn are some other good scrambling routes. When giving advice people, try to look at it from the other persons perspective. Because I think Capitol isn't that hard doesn't mean it's easy. My first class 3, Ellingwood Ridge on La Plata, is still my hardest and scariest route on a 14er because we kept going off route. Conclusion....if you've done Long's, the exposure and climbing is about the same, but the day will be longer with more class 3. Enjoy!