El Diente ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

El Diente ?

Post by Nelson »

Hi Guys,

Because the weather appears reasonably stable and because the avy level in the southern San Juans is now moderate I am contemplating the following:

Day 1: Hike from Dunton Road to somewhere around or above Navajo Lake (I assume Silver Pick is still closed) and camp. I plan to do this on skins (is there snow on the road?).

Day 2: Climb El Diente via North slope and ski back to camp. Depending on how everything goes, I would either spend the night or head back to Dunton Road.

I would very much appreciate any advice, suggestions or criticism from the experienced people that frequent this forum.

Thanks,

Nelson
SkiNowWorkLater
14ers: 26  13  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Re: El Diente ?

Post by SkiNowWorkLater »

If you go, be sure to know what you're doing. The lower north slopes of El Diente are right in the sweet spot of pitch for avalanche activity. The top has some technical mixed scrambling. If you're skiing from the summit back down the north slope you'll encounter a short steep chute that drops you into a hanging snow field traverse above some cliffs. Once you get out of that it's smooth sailing back to the basin.

Check my blog below if you want more pictures/details. Good luck!
Nelson
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

Thanks!

That is extremely helpful. I probably won't ski from the top but rather down climb past the rocks.

Nelson
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

February 2 I saw the Dunton Road turnoff from Colorado 145 W of Lizard Head Pass. I was heading to Maricopa County AZ at the time. There is snow on this road and everywhere else in the area. I recall there appeared to be tracks on this road, so maybe there are others driving this approach to El Diente. If you go, expect to take you time on this road.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

You can start at the highway and hike the Dunton road to Dunton Meadows for a Kilpacker approach. It will be packed by snowmobiles if you go on a Sunday (after the Saturday snowmobilers have gone wild.) If you want the Navajo Basin side, Go up the West Delores road (from 12 mi north of Delores.) Follow that to Dunton. You'll be 3 miles from the Navajo Lake TH. This is what I did.

You can hike up from the Dunton side and cut across to Kilpacker . You can find a description on 14erworld in a winter Mt Wilson TR of Ken Nolan's. A traditional Kilpacker route or a modified SW route would be easier than my route (but not necessarily safer unless the Avy danger is low.)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

For the two Wilson's, I used the Silver Pick route (even though it was technically still closed at the time. Nobody had been within 5 miles of camp for months.)

Climbing El Diente in winter is about as serious as it gets. Be Careful.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Nelson
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

Thanks, again guys for all the help. I'm coming to the conclusion that the avy situation is not as benign as I had hoped and that I should sit tight for a while.

Besides we have had 20 inches of new snow here in the Wasatch and I feel like I should stay here and enjoy it.

Nelson