Shav/Tab conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Shav/Tab conditions

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Anyone have any recent beta on Shav/Tab?

We are looking at an attempt this coming weekend and wondered how things are up there?

I am unsure of trying to ski the angel this early but am still interested in the hike either way.

As always, you are welcome to join if you are looking for an adventure and you have your own gear and are in decent physical condition.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Shav/Tab conditions

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

mountainmicah83 wrote:
We are looking at an attempt this coming weekend...As always, you are welcome to join if you are looking for an adventure and you have your own gear and are in decent physical condition.
Shav/Tab on my list this winter - meaning only five more weeks left! Waiting to hear on weekend plans, depending on what comes through, it's possible I may want to join you guys. Sorry I have zero beta on what's up there right now; perhaps this thread will get some helpful responses.

If we don't hook up this weekend we'll have to get together sometime soon.

Take care,

Jim
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

I'd be game to go, but also don't have conditions. I wanted to hike this combination last week but couldn't find any information and didn't want to solo it without any trail or anything. And I was told though from a friend that hiked it last year it is a rather hard 14er in the winter. Again don't know much, but I will start looking into too. You thinking Saturday?

(I have my own gear and won't be a drag on the pack)

Edit: Are you thinking about taking the standard double summit trail (obviously alterations for ava conditions when necessary)?

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
rolo tomassi
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rolo tomassi »

Another option-

In looking at the angel (I live in salida) it appears to have some new snow. I know monarch got about a foot or so recently and it can wind load on the angel. Is the angel steep enough to avalanche?.....maybe.....according to Roach it does not exceed 30 degrees. If you took the higher trail you end up traversing a few paths that seem steeper than that; however they face south and it has been sunny for two days here. I dont really know what the actual snow conditions are like.

A route I have been looking at recently, although I have no beta on it- I can say it is unlikely to present any avy hazard.

At 11,800, at about tree line the standard trail takes a hard Left (south turn) and then contours and climbs to the angels "armpit". I am looking at going straight up the ridge from there, at about 11,800,over point 13,612 to the summit. from my porch it appears that the N side of the ridge is scoured and the S side of the ridge has snow.
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Are you thinking about still hitting this peak this weekend? I am game for Saturday if you want to...

Let me know,
Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

I know that a group is headed up Sunday. I may join them. Does anyone know if the snowbank has blocked the Blank's cabin route or can we drive most of the way to that TH? I'd hate to walk over the CT from angel of Shav CG, but it is often the shortest way in winter. Anyone willing to go check out the Blankls Cabin TH access?

If I go, I'll join my friends on Sunday.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Steve,
There is no snow berm blocking the road but there is a good sized drift erasing the road on the other side of the creek en route. There's no way you could drive through it. I doubt a snowmobile could even. I parked about 2.75 miles from the TH (via Blank's Cabin).
Past the drift, the road is not packed down.
sgladbach wrote:I know that a group is headed up Sunday. I may join them. Does anyone know if the snowbank has blocked the Blank's cabin route or can we drive most of the way to that TH? I'd hate to walk over the CT from angel of Shav CG, but it is often the shortest way in winter. Anyone willing to go check out the Blankls Cabin TH access?

If I go, I'll join my friends on Sunday.

Steve
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

rolo tomassi wrote:Another option-

In looking at the angel (I live in salida) it appears to have some new snow. I know monarch got about a foot or so recently and it can wind load on the angel. Is the angel steep enough to avalanche?.....maybe.....according to Roach it does not exceed 30 degrees. If you took the higher trail you end up traversing a few paths that seem steeper than that; however they face south and it has been sunny for two days here. I dont really know what the actual snow conditions are like.

A route I have been looking at recently, although I have no beta on it- I can say it is unlikely to present any avy hazard.

At 11,800, at about tree line the standard trail takes a hard Left (south turn) and then contours and climbs to the angels "armpit". I am looking at going straight up the ridge from there, at about 11,800,over point 13,612 to the summit. from my porch it appears that the N side of the ridge is scoured and the S side of the ridge has snow.

Thanks for the visual update.

I would be scared of the Angel sliding which is still very possible. Just make sure you test it like crazy. I was thinking of hauling up my board this weekend to descend via that route but I think I will wait for spring. I don't want to actually have to use my Avy gear.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
rolo tomassi
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rolo tomassi »

Looks like yesterdays sun got rid of some of the snow. Mostly just snow in the couloirs and the angel.

I can take pics w my phone and send them via text of anyone is interested, (i'm at work and my camera is at home- but I get a good view of shavano from work.
pm me #'s if interested.