Grays/Torreys Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dsb02040
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Grays/Torreys Conditions

Post by dsb02040 »

Hi; was hoping to try either or both Grays and Torreys this weekend (2/20)...saw that snow is expected in the area this week; is anyone familiar with the recent conditions up there? Or was anyone else thinking of trying it?
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Grays/Torreys Conditions

Post by moon stalker »

I was up there Saturday. I parked about 2 miles up the road and ~1 mile down from the summer TH. Another car parked in basically the same place, and when I left no one had ventured further up. The previous weekend you could get further up. Some folks might have tried it Sunday when the weather was better. For the trail, I only used microspikes, but wished I had my snowshoes. Even though three skiers were in front of me, I barely saw evidence of their tracks all day due to the blowing snow. A lot of snow has built up in low spots. The trail used to be well packed, the previous weekend we didn't need snow shoes. You shouldn't need shoes or other floatation device higher up, wind scoured. Obviously, depending on the next storm coming in, that could change too.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.
dsb02040
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grays/Torreys Conditions

Post by dsb02040 »

Ah, thanks very much for the reply; one last question: would it be necessary to have microspikes as well? Or would snowshoes suffice? Thanks, again!