Pikes Peak Via Crags Information

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snowman_14erman
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Pikes Peak Via Crags Information

Post by Snowman_14erman »

Dear fellow outdoors people,

Over a month ago I busted trail to the far south of of the Crags to access my normal snow stash. Having waited for more snow I ventured there yesterday. I was shocked to see that the trail that I busted has been mistaken for the route to summit Pikes Peak via the Crags. The update I felt was crucial as I ran into a gentleman up there with his route and GPS that did not match what is actually there. In fact the correct trail is covered and is not easily identified. He, as well as others, have been surprised to see this alternate route that does pose some hidden avy dangers. CORRECT ROUTE: Course change should occur at the first open Meadow that gives you a view of the entire west aspect.........The Correct route will head north east for a short ways and then changes direction to South east through the Christmas Tree Clear Cut. The packed trail that heads south of the meadow is not the correct trail. It will lead you up towards some exposed areas with unknown stability. Thank You and stay safe.
Snowman_14erman
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pikes Peak Via Crags Information

Here is a link to route picture 5 on pikes peak showing the correct route.
http://www.14ers.com/photos/pikespeak/RPike_105.jpg
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Happens every year. I personally love that route up through Stump Alley (as it's known) and usually take that to get to DP - in appropriate conditions. It does get quite steep along those beautiful rocks on the ridge.

I put in an early season line up there and came back and found the same thing -- people were using that line instead of the standard route.

The west approach to PP, and specifically from Crags to DP, can pose some challenging route-finding difficulties - as we've seen with folks getting lost, etc.

Thanks for the post, a great reminder of all of the difficulties in that particular section of the route.

Some current photos would be nice if anyone has them.

Jim
Snowman_14erman
Trip Reports (1)

Jim

I will take some pictures with better condition information and post them next week. I plan a Monday or Wednesday ascent to pack trail with all of the new snow. Current snow levels are variable with mostly wind deposits above tree line. There is a solid 2-3 foot base in the treed areas. Happy trekking.

Justin
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Be careful, Justin! That steep section getting into those beautiful rocks -- that's spooked me more than once. It'd be a little sketch right now I'd think.

I was thinking about getting up there next week as well but the snowpack... It occurred to me to research if there have been any slides there in years past. Does anybody know if there is there a quick and easy way to research that, or do you have to just go year by year thru the CAIC accident section? Thx.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Justin,

FWIW, a few of us are headed up the east side tomorrow. See thread under climbing connection. Please join us if you'd like.

Jim
Snowman_14erman
Trip Reports (1)

Jim,

Thanks for the invite and I will be careful. Its been a year of unstable conditions and the CAIC does not seem to really pinpoint Pikes. It seems to be a mountain all to itself.

I can tell you from personal experience that on the west aspect (Crags to Sentinel Point) there have only been one small avalanche in the last 4 years. As for the Devils Playground, Y Couloir area I am not sure. Some of the most famous avalanches have been to the south east of the Summit with fatalities as you probably remember. I would like to hear of other avy info if you find it.

Thanks
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Snowman_14erman wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the invite and I will be careful. Its been a year of unstable conditions and the CAIC does not seem to really pinpoint Pikes. It seems to be a mountain all to itself.

I can tell you from personal experience that on the west aspect (Crags to Sentinel Point) there have only been one small avalanche in the last 4 years. As for the Devils Playground, Y Couloir area I am not sure. Some of the most famous avalanches have been to the south east of the Summit with fatalities as you probably remember. I would like to hear of other avy info if you find it.

Thanks

Chit chat at Barr Camp today actually found its way to that most unfortunate accident in the east bowl a number of years back....Nate and Bill and the gang... interestingly, I was waiting for a call from Nate. Instead, my friend Chris called. Chris and I were on the peak that day but felt the avy danger was too high (with a foot of new snow each of the last four days) to hit the chutes, so we stayed in the old ski area - about 15-20 degree slopes, and had a blast. The thing that chilled me to the bone was that if Nate had called the night before and invited me, I'd be in that group that skied the east bowl - and I would have went against my own better judgement - on the basis that he "knew a lot more than me." We talked about how it is human nature to be more bold in a group -- and the tragic east bowl slide that left one man dead and five children fatherless. And how one man had a cell phone in his pack but had neglected to tell the others - he actually lived for a few hours as Nate went down to Barr Camp and made the call to SAR - who by that time could not come out as it was getting too late in the day. It sounds like you know the whole story... Yes, I do remember it well....too well... yes, it hit much too close to home....

On a brighter note, we had a very good day today. Eight of us started, two turned back with a very sweet golden retriever that was having some paw problems. We talked about the most famous little friend out there lately -- Cooper -- who we think may be one of, if not the only, canine to have summitted all 14ers in winter! (Steve? Does Cooper take you on every trip he goes on?) Six of us thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon with Neal and Teresa. Teresa was quite animated today and she was a hoot! Lots of laughs, great company over a few cups of coffee and hot chocolate on a great winter day. We salvaged the weekend in style. Thanks to Britt for a great idea, and really nice to see everyone up there.

On another note, a friend in Divide and her husband went up to the Crags TH and said the road was extremely icy. I don't have any more info at the moment but will be glad to share when I hear more if you're interested.

Take care,

Jim