Yak Trak vs Kahtoola

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jniehof
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yak Trak vs Kahtoola

Post by jniehof »

YEONDERIN wrote:Does anyone have experience with STABILicers? http://www.rei.com/product/760710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I got a pair for ice fishing and have been wondering how they would do on an icy mountain trail.
The full-bore stabilicers (not the Lite or Sport) are far better than the YakTrax, but pretty heavy and not as good as the microspikes. Stabilicers lite and sport are YakTrax-level, not really that great for the mountains.

Here in New England, where "mixed conditions" on steep trails are the order of the day, the microspikes have pretty well killed off any other light traction.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Anyone tried their crampons?

http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The steel unit is reportedly lighter and more packable than standard crampons (23 oz) but I wonder if anyone has had experience with them?
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Anyone tried their crampons?

http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The steel unit is reportedly lighter and more packable than standard crampons (23 oz) but I wonder if anyone has had experience with them?
I bough a pair late last year but have yet to put them on except in my living room. I also bought the small carry pouch. I bought them because I have been so impressed with their Microspikes.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
pueblohiker
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pueblohiker »

I have both. Yak Trak Plus (w/velco strap) are OK but going downhill the front will roll off your toes and under the boot. Not something you want to mess with, fixing them results in cold hands! I prefer the Microspikes for hiking.