BackcountrySkier missing after avalanche near Hut

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

BackcountrySkier missing after avalanche near Hut

Post by gsliva »

I hate to see this. Be careful out there everyone.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20100 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Re: BackcountrySkier missing after avalanche near Hut

Post by Marcos »

We were up at another hut in the same general area over the weekend (Harry Gates). The snowpack was really terrible.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Bad ending. The very best to his/her family and friends. The article doesn't give a name or gender yet.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20100 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
It Escapes Me
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by It Escapes Me »

Sad Indeed. It does say "Local Man"
Not to be confused with Cvrti5!
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

He's been identified. How very sad...

rocky
south fork, colorado
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Here's the CAIC report: http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_re ... &accfm=off

I haven't done much in the backcountry during the winter. The Aspen Times article said that he was part of a group of "experienced" backcountry skiers, but the CAIC report states that he did not have an avalanche beacon. Does anyone find that sometimes experience can lead to overconfidence? If I do get into the backcountry in the winter (which I'm hoping to do more of eventually), I don't think I would ever be without a beacon.

Just curious....
jrsummit
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrsummit »

Very sad...makes you wonder what would have transpired if he was wearing a beacon? My partners and I always seem to question whether we should leave our beacons in the car on easy little skins...to this day we have always decided to take them just in case, and this situation further reinforces those decisions. A little extra weight has the the potential to change situations dramatically. RIP.
jrsummit
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrsummit »

tmathews wrote:Here's the CAIC report: http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_re ... &accfm=off

Does anyone find that sometimes experience can lead to overconfidence? If I do get into the backcountry in the winter (which I'm hoping to do more of eventually), I don't think I would ever be without a beacon.

Just curious....
Take this with a grain of salt...but in my experience the people I ride with tend to be more cautious as opposed to overconfident. I would consider most of my regular partners "very experienced." A few of them have seen the consequences of over-confident people firsthand through ski-patrol or SAR rescues and that may be why they don't take unnecessary risks. Some people may become complacent over time...but that seems to be the minority. Of course YMMV.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

tmathews wrote:I haven't done much in the backcountry during the winter. The Aspen Times article said that he was part of a group of "experienced" backcountry skiers, but the CAIC report states that he did not have an avalanche beacon. Does anyone find that sometimes experience can lead to overconfidence? If I do get into the backcountry in the winter (which I'm hoping to do more of eventually), I don't think I would ever be without a beacon. Just curious....
I thought the same thing when I read the Aspen Times article a couple days ago that stated he was experienced and then provided that his body was located by a search and rescue dog. I found this to be inconsistent. In my opinion experienced backcountry skiers don't ski avy terrain on a considerable/high avy threat day without a beacon.

I do think experience can lead to overconfidence and thinking you can mitigate risks more effectively than you're really able to. At least I find myself sometimes making this mistake.

Very sad to hear another Colorado backcountry enthusiast has passed away. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by GravityPilot »

Wesley wrote:
tmathews wrote:I haven't done much in the backcountry during the winter. The Aspen Times article said that he was part of a group of "experienced" backcountry skiers, but the CAIC report states that he did not have an avalanche beacon. Does anyone find that sometimes experience can lead to overconfidence? If I do get into the backcountry in the winter (which I'm hoping to do more of eventually), I don't think I would ever be without a beacon. Just curious....
I thought the same thing when I read the Aspen Times article a couple days ago that stated he was experienced and then provided that his body was located by a search and rescue dog. I found this to be inconsistent. In my opinion experienced backcountry skiers don't ski avy terrain on a considerable/high avy threat day without a beacon.

I do think experience can lead to overconfidence and thinking you can mitigate risks more effectively than you're really able to. At least I find myself sometimes making this mistake.

Very sad to hear another Colorado backcountry enthusiast has passed away. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.
What you are talking about is known as "expert halo". It has been shown that the more experience you have the more likely it is you will be involved in an accident. Whether it is a function of just being exposed more due to our jobs or believing they can "out think" the snow pack I don't know. I think the more experience you have the more humble you have to be.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

I usually wear my beacon and would recommend that to others however........ body recovery is what beacons do best so I don't think someone without one is totally irrational. I would not pass judgment on someone without one. Ultimately avoiding avalanches is what you need to do. Statistically, having avalanche training makes you more likely to be a victim.

Beacons are "trancievers" you need at least 2 so I wonder what the situation was with the rest of his partners on the trip.

My condolences to the victim, friends and family.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

On a much better note the missing snowboarder near Wolfcreek has been found alive and well...
http://www.gazette.com/articles/wolf-94 ... alive.html
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com