Tax Deductable 14er Trips

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CFI PeakSteward
Trip Reports (0)

Tax Deductable 14er Trips

Post by CFI PeakSteward »

Planning some 14er trips this summer and want to write off your personal expenditures? If you are volunteering with a qualified nonprofit organization you may be able to write your expenditures (gas, food, Culebra :shock: …) off as “charitable contributions” when filing your taxes (Check out IRS Publication 526 and CHECK WITH YOUR ACCOUNTANT: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf).

The Colorado Fourteeners Initiative has opportunities for you to hike 14ers while at the same time volunteering as a Peak Steward. (If you are unfamiliar with CFI we are a nonprofit organization partnered with the Forest Service whose mission is to protect and preserve Colorado’s fourteen thousand foot peaks through active stewardship and public education and an organization that is lucky to have Bill Middlebrook as a Board Member =D> .) Peak Stewards count visitors and hand out Leave No Trace cards to those who are unfamiliar with the delicate conditions in the alpine environments. It only takes a 1 ½ day training to become a Peak Steward and there are various trainings scheduled throughout the spring and early summer. The last two on the Front Range will be at the REI in Boulder on Sunday March 7th from 9:30-3:30 and the AMC in Golden on Saturday March 27th from 9-4. They are moving up into the mountain communities after those two…

For more information and to register for a training contact Brian at the CFI office 303-278-7650 or email to brian@14ers.org. We also have an active fanpage if you are into facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado- ... 7711951957. For those of you who are familiar with CFI and have been or are still actively a Peak Steward, could you chime in here a bit and let folks know what a convenient form of volunteerism this is. Thanks :D !!

I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you - Cheers!

-Brian Wallace, CFI Education and Outreach Coordinator
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Tax Deductable 14er Trips

Post by George James »

Hey Brian,

Don't leave Fort Collins out! Could I get you fine folks to set up a Peak Steward Training up here, perhaps in April sometime? I'm sure our REI would be happy to host you, but me and my friends could reserve some space for you at the University instead, if you'd like.

I feel like we'll be able to drum up enough interest from your visit in March to make a Steward Training session in Fort Collins worth your while.

Thanks!

George
~The Outdoor Club at Colorado State University
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
CFI PeakSteward
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CFI PeakSteward »

George James wrote:
Don't leave Fort Collins out! Could I get you fine folks to set up a Peak Steward Training up here, perhaps in April sometime? I'm sure our REI would be happy to host you, but me and my friends could reserve some space for you at the University instead, if you'd like.
Hey George, YEA! I think we should make that happen if we could get some folks to commit after the intro in March [-o< . Looking forward to being there and hope Gerry Roach's presentation went well! - Cheers!
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

I've been writing off various in-kind contributions to CFI and CMC for years. IRS allows only 14 cents per mile for charitable mileage. Still, it's worth it to keep a log if you are able to itemize deductions. Steve
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

Just strike up a conversation on the mountain with someone about whatever it is that you do for work and call it a business trip
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Very cool - thanks for posting this.